Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Start me on a non-safe-mode server? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Wow, after researching about 200 Web hosts in the past few days, I was trying to choose between Aletia and 2 other possible hosts to ...

Loyal Client

Start me on a non-safe-mode server?

Wow, after researching about 200 Web hosts in the past few days, I was trying to choose between Aletia and 2 other possible hosts to move my 2 domains to, but the following 2 things made up my mind:

1. Aletia's multi-hosted domain support will save me 50% of my hosting costs because my two domains together won't ever come close to fully using your smallest bandwidth package.

2. Aletia will transfer my Web files directly from my current host, without me having to do it via my dial-up account!

Here's my only concern: I've read a lot about PHP safe mode in the past several hours, and from what I've read, safe mode causes a lot of problems with phpBB version 2 forums, which I'm currently running with safe mode disabled. The newest post I've seen about safe mode here is dated a few weeks ago. So, I'm wondering if/how I can request that Aletia transfer my domains onto a server that will not be running PHP in safe mode, to make sure that you don't transfer me to a server, turn on safe mode, and then have to transfer me again, to a non-safe-mode server.

Right now no server is running php in safe mode, at least I think. Yes they are going to switch at some point though. From what I've read they will work some things out. They realize not everybody wants to be on a server with safe mode on, so from my understanding they will have _at least_ one server not running php in safe mode. There still trying to come up with ideas on how to implement it. I read that they are thinking of switching all servers eventually to safe mode and then have people request to be put on a seperate box that does not have it turned on. Who knows if that's still the case.
    I would email them and tell them your situation.
    Nomsane?
    That is all.

Loyal Client
    Yes, I already knew that.

As I said, I was hoping that they could put me on a server that they know is not going to be switched to safe mode, because I don't want to have to be switched to a different server once I'm here.

Thanks anyway!

The point I was trying to make was that they don't know what server won't run php in safe mode. At least from my understanding. That's why I'd shoot an email to them and explain your situation
    Sorry for being unclear
    Nomsane?
    That is all.

Loyal Client
    Thanks!

Loyal Client
    Let us know what they say, Teach!

Loyal Client
    Aletia support told me that, if I want my domains on a non-PHP-safe-mode server, I should request that they be set up on kiwi when I sign up with Aletia.

I did some checking, and discovered that the kiwi server is hosted at the new VenturesOnline NOC in Colorado, which is fine with me. Unfortunately, Aletia doesn't have nameservers set up for that facility yet -- they told me they hope to set those up in the next couple of months. So, I decided to wait until the nameservers are set up for the Colorado server(s), and any related DNS problems are resolved, and then transfer my domains to Aletia.

Yeah, I'm not certain if I'd like to be on the safe mode server. It appears some features in YaBB SE would break:

http://www.yabb.info/community/index...;threadid=5599
    Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005
    CastleCops | Cuddles 'n Kisses | Just a little poke | Zhen-Xjell

Loyal Client

Great...

Just changed over to phpBB2 about two weeks ago and now find this out :cold:. Initially, I was pretty freaked out.:bawl:

I looked at our server info and find that we are already on safe_mode (if
    '--enable-safe-mode'
    means we are runnning in safe-mode. Reportedly, a lot of the difficulties w/safe-mode depend on how it is configured. The only functionality problem I have found is that avators are not uploadable or don't work. This is not an issue for us.

IT's also possible that we had some probs with e-mail notification, but that's from a users report, and I'm not sure how adept they are at using forums/computers. When we have used it it has worked fine.