Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on [email protected] returning mail to me in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
This is the message I got (names & domains changed to protect the innocent): From: Mail Delivery System <[email protected]> Date: Mon Jan 21, 2002 03:49:08 ...

Ann

[email protected] returning mail to me

This is the message I got (names & domains changed to protect the innocent):

Date: Mon Jan 21, 2002 03:49:08 PM US/Central
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
    host mail.easynet.co.uk [195.40.1.235]: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
    ------ The body of the message is 170387 characters long; only the first
    ------ 102400 or so are included here.

-----

(I didn't include the rest of the message)

What does it mean, "553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts"?

I had to send it out through my ISP email account, which I'd prefer not to do (confuses customers, not as professional, etc.)

Any ideas?

Ann

alexodin
    check out this thread: hmm...cant make it as url, so just copy and past in the browser:
    PHP Code:
    http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=domain+isn%27t+in+my+list+of+allowed+rcpthosts&list=513 

Ann
    OK, I read it, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me explanation-wise as far as what I need to do...a lot of technical talk, but it doesn't mean anything to me.

What do I do? Do I need to fix something in my email account? I'm confused.

Ann

Loyal Client
    Ann, in your e-mail program put your isp on outgoing server. That way you can still send from your domain addresses. And e-mail support if you haven't already.

Ann
    Thanks Stomne, I used to have that a while ago when I had a different host (other than Aletia); since I got Aletia I was able to use my domain with them as the outgoing host. I can generally use my domain just fine...99% of the time I have no problems doing that. It's just with sending to certain accounts, it seems like aletia's mail servers regurgitates.

So I don't know if it's on MY end (aletia's mail servers not allowing me to send to HER account) or if it's on HER end, her mail servers not accepting mail from MY account.

It's confusing and hard to interpretate.

Ann

Loyal Client
    If it's just a problem when you send to certain addresses my guess would be that the problem is on their end. Hope you get it fixed!