Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on quick question for yahs in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
hey if I am temporarily hosting someone else, can I give them access to my account, by setting them up a username and password, so ...

Loyal Client

quick question for yahs

hey if I am temporarily hosting someone else, can I give them access to my account, by setting them up a username and password, so they can only upload files to a specific folder??

if so how do I do this

thanks

Loyal Client
    Yes. Just create an FTP account and the account will automatically be limited to the folder of the same name as the username of the FTP account.

So if you create an FTP account with a username of "bob", then the user can only access the /public_html/bob/ folder.

Loyal Client
    is that using the ftp managment system thingo we have in out controll panel?

and thanks

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by killmaster
    is that using the ftp managment system thingo we have in out controll panel?
    Yup

Loyal Client
    cool thanks for that
    cya

Loyal Client
    hey I just created the username and password
    but how do I controll which folder he has to access

FTP Accounts
    With the ftp account utility you can control ftp accounts for your users, or if your account has subdomain support you can add an ftp login for the subdomain.

Anonymous FTP Controls
    Here you can change setting on how anonymous ftp users should be treated, and change the anonymous upload policy as well.

Anonymous FTP Message
    You can edit the anonymous ftp welcome message that users will see when they login to your ftp site.

FTP Session Control
    This utility allows you to disconnect users or timed out ftp sessions.

which option do I choose to set what folder he can only acces.

thanks

Loyal Client
    You should notice that there is now a folder that has automatically been created in your public_html folder, that has the same name as the FTP username you created. Your FTP user can only access that folder...you cannot change it or allow him access to multiple folders without contacting Aletia support.

Loyal Client
    ahh so only that username and password can now access that folder which I see in the html public folder?

so any other folders I put in there can only be accessed via ftp by that username as well.

I think I get it now

thanks

Loyal Client
    I think you've got it.

They can access that folder, and any folders you create *under* it, but not anything *above* it.

Loyal Client
    hey hey I got it all working I tested it and everything, so thanks for your help, I might need some help setting up a mysql account but I don't think I will

but thanks for your help

Loyal Client

Just what I was looking for!

Funny what the search feature does, hey??? :yawn:

Thanks Killmaster... and all those who help this forum!