Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Concatenate or Evaluate? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I could do time tests, but I guess I'm lazy. Which is a better way to construct a SQL statement using PHP: to concatenate the ...

Concatenate or Evaluate?

I could do time tests, but I guess I'm lazy.

Which is a better way to construct a SQL statement using PHP: to concatenate the bits and pieces of the SQL statement or to evaluate the entire string?

The query shown below is an over-simplification. Just imagine all sorts of "ifs" appending various ' AND ... ' conditions into the WHERE clause.
    PHP Code:
    // Concatenate:
    $str_sQuote chr39 ); 
    $query1  'SELECT * FROM some_table WHERE id = '.$id.

' AND some_string = '.$str_sQuote.

$some_string.$str_sQuote;
    $result1 mysql_query$query1$conn );

// Evaluate:
    $query2  "SELECT * FROM some_table WHERE id = $id AND some_string = '$some_string'";
    $result2 mysql_query$query2$conn ); 

Loyal Client
    It depends on your personally priorities really. I highly doubt there would be any difference in speed. I would do whatever is the most readable. When you look back at your code six months from now, which one will you be able to understand the best?

Loyal Client
    Looks to me like the only difference would come if you're running this in a loop several thousand times or so. Once or twice or even a couple dozen times shouldn't have a noticeable difference.