Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on I think Venus server is down, yet again. in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Are the Venus/Titus servers down again? I was going to work one of my websites on my lunch, but they are all down. All of ...

Loyal Client

I think Venus server is down, yet again.

Are the Venus/Titus servers down again?

I was going to work one of my websites on my lunch, but they are all down. All of em.

Thanks.

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil857 View Post

I was going to work one of my websites on my lunch, but they are all down. All of em.

Thanks.
    Unfortunately they are, a member of our team is working on bringing the system back online. We are waiting on hard drives to be able to migrate the equipment. Thank you for your patience and I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Zachary | Chief Customer Officer
    JaguarPC.com

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

How are we doing? Tell us at qa@jaguarpc.com.

Loyal Client
    I feel your pain!

Thanks.

Loyal Client
    Hi Brandan,

Yes, I saw your woes as well from my previous post.

My metrics have been showing less traffic recently. I wonder how much of that is natural and how much is from downtime. There's been a lot lately.

Loyal Client
    Looks like we're back in business. Can't really tell that the downtime has impacted traffic. But we have a wiki operating on the server for a collaborative project, and it's a real pain in the butt when it suddenly become unavailable.

Loyal Client
    Hey Brandan,

Hopefully you will see this.

Since the server change, I cannot get into my cpanel, and all my wordpress sites have contact forms that no longer work. This is across my whole reseller account and all websites. Are you having similar issues?

This is the error I'm getting:
    "This server could not prove that it is domainname.net; its security certificate is from *.nocdirect.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."

All I can get from support is that its normal and just proceed, which I can't. I don't think they even read my tickets very carefully. Then they ask me to give the steps to reproduce, which I gave initially. Just very frustrated, and wondering if you were having similar issues.

Loyal Client
    Hey Brandan,

Hopefully you will see this.

Since the server change, I cannot get into my cpanel, and all my wordpress sites have contact forms that no longer work. This is across my whole reseller account and all websites. Are you having similar issues?

This is the error I'm getting:
    "This server could not prove that it is domainname.net; its security certificate is from *.nocdirect.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."

All I can get from support is that its normal and just proceed, which I can't. I don't think they even read my tickets very carefully. Then they ask me to give the steps to reproduce, which I gave initially. Just very frustrated, and wondering if you were having similar issues.
    Gil -

The error is normal and our technical support team did read your ticket. They provided the correct answer in their first reply.

You are on a new server, your browser does not have the SSL exception based on the new hostname/ssl. When www.yourdomain.com/cpanel redirects to https://www.yourdomain.com:2083 it looks as if the SSL is being spoofed. The page error message is prompting you to add an exception. Once the exception is added, you will not receive the message any longer which is why it only started happening after the server was moved. You likely have an exception for the old hostname from years ago.

As far as your forms not working, we will need you to submit the additional information we asked for in the ticket, we have limited information in regards to what is not exactly working. We've asked for screen shots and the errors several times. We do not ask for this information to be difficult, it is helpful in troubleshooting so we can see exactly what you are seeing. If your forms use smtp authentication and uses the hostname for sending, I would check there to start.
    Last edited by JPC-Zachary; 04-03-2015 at 08:24 PM.
    JaguarPC.com

Need a Manager?

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Zachary View Post
    Gil -

The error is normal and our technical support team did read your ticket. They provided the correct answer in their first reply.

You are on a new server, your browser does not have the SSL exception based on the new hostname/ssl. When www.yourdomain.com/cpanel redirects to https://www.yourdomain.com:2083 it looks as if the SSL is being spoofed. The page error message is prompting you to add an exception. Once the exception is added, you will not receive the message any longer which is why it only started happening after the server was moved. You likely have an exception for the old hostname from years ago.

As far as your forms not working, we will need you to submit the additional information we asked for in the ticket, we have limited information in regards to what is not exactly working. We've asked for screen shots and the errors several times. We do not ask for this information to be difficult, it is helpful in troubleshooting so we can see exactly what you are seeing. If your forms use smtp authentication and uses the hostname for sending, I would check there to start.

Look, I'm not stupid. It is not normal, unless it is being re-directed, and nobody told me that. I assume the re-direct is temporary, correct? Because I have no way of knowing if I'm being spoofed, or if it's a legitimate re-direct.

My frustration level is a 10 because of all the problems that have been occurring. If it wasn't such a pain to transfer sites, I would find a new host. You know all the problems that the Venus server has had.

I have left instructions on my ticket on the error I am getting with the wordpress form. I have had this form for 6 years, with no errors, until the changes that have been made.

Thanks.

Loyal Client
    Look, I'm not stupid. It is not normal, unless it is being re-directed, and nobody told me that. I assume the re-direct is temporary, correct? Because I have no way of knowing if I'm being spoofed, or if it's a legitimate re-direct.

My frustration level is a 10 because of all the problems that have been occurring. If it wasn't such a pain to transfer sites, I would find a new host. You know all the problems that the Venus server has had.

I have left instructions on my ticket on the error I am getting with the wordpress form. I have had this form for 6 years, with no errors, until the changes that have been made.

Thanks.
    Gil -

It looks like Jacob was above to advise you on both issues in your ticket. Not trying to pick on you and no one thinks your stupid. This situation here is a great learning experience for both you and anyone who reads our forums.

Answers like the below into a ticket to our techs make it nearly impossible to trouble shoot an issue. We already know what domains you are on and we can already search for the scripts.

Go to http://www.yourdomain.com/contact/ and try to send message
    We ask for step-by-step instructions, error messages and screen shots to make sure that we are seeing the same thing you are. That we are replicating the exact scenario you are having issues with. When we submitted this form it worked for us on the first attempt. If it works for us, the only option we have is to continue to ask for more information until we receive the full picture. This delays resolving the issue, this makes you more frustrated then needed, etc. It isn't that we aren't reading the ticket. It isn't we aren't attempting to solve your issue. We need more detailed information.
    Last edited by JPC-Zachary; 04-03-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    JaguarPC.com

Need a Manager?

Loyal Client
    Why did I have to change nameservers?

Loyal Client
    Why did I have to change nameservers?
    The name server change was made because we have spent the last year and a half streamlining operations. This includes moving to a single name server cluster. Anyone on the name servers you are on now can move to the majority (soon to be any) of servers in our fleet in a migration without a name change or any downtime. We simply log in to our cluster and point it to the new server. This prevents issues forwarding, delayed e-mails, etc. It helps us be able to load balance the fleet easier and provide more streamlined upgrades from shared to business hosting to reseller hosting. It is all centered around making the JaguarPC experience better for you.
    JaguarPC.com

Need a Manager?

Loyal Client
    Hey Gil,

I replied to the email notification I got from you latest post on this thread.
    But either a reply to the notification doesn't show up as a post reply, or it was removed (I did get a response from Serg to my reply, so it went somewhere).

Here were my comments:
    On 04.04.2015 10:35, Brandan Borgias wrote:
    I have not had any trouble getting into cpanel (2083), webmail (2096) or WHM(2087) after the initial warning that the cert for *.nocdirect.com was not valid for *.nswebhost.com). I accepted the cert on my browsers after checking with JaguarPC. I don't have any dedicated certificates for any of my domains. I would connect to https://titus.nswebhost.com:2083 for secure cpanel connections. The new machine for TITUS is raincoat.nocdirect.com. Raincoat has a valid certificate *.nocdirect.com, but I get the warning when a request for titus is redirected to raincoat. Is Venus on raincoat? Or on it's own new server?

When the server was initially resurrected on 3/31 I asked support about the cert error, and got this reply
    "Titus shall in the near future (we do not have an ETA on that at the moment) be migrated to a titus.nocidrect.com hostname, and the warning will not be thrown anymore."

For now the DNS records include both the old Titus address and the new raincoat address. I also recall seeing a message about modifying DNS a records, but can't find it now.
    [addendum: found it] This was received 3/31/15 6:11 AM PDT about the time of the transfer from TITUS/VENUS to RAINCOAT.
    The server "titus.nswebhost.com" has been having issues and downtime recently. After examining the server we have decided to migrate it to new hardware.We are contacting you to inform you that the migration of your server (titus) to your new server (raincoat.nocdirect.com) is now finished. The traffic is forwarded to the new server and the websites are loading from the new server at this time. This migration allowed us to provide you with more powerful hardware and provide an optimized server configuration.

We are notifying you in order to ensure that you are aware of the need to change the IP your domains point to in any outside name servers you are using. If you use our nameservers ns1-titus.nswebhost.com.com and ns2-titus.nswebhost.com with the IPs 69.73.169.119 and 69.73.169.120, please change them to our new nameservers:

vns1.nocdirect.com (69.73.154.62)
    vns2.nocdirect.com (69.73.149.5)

If you are using outside nameservers or are simply pointing to our servers via an A record, you will need to manually update the records to the new IPs.

Shared IP - 69.73.182.77

Clients who have the dedicated IPs assigned, can see their IP by logging to http://raincoat.nocdirect.com/whm with your cPanel username and password.
    If you use the server hostname as your mail server in your mail program or as the FTP hostname, please ensure that you change it to the new server hostname.
    If you have any questions regarding this migration, please feel free to contact us. We appreciate your patience and look forward to providing the best hosting experience.

Beyond the certificate issue I have had some backup scripts (softaculous/mediawiki and softaculous/wordpress) intermittently failing on connecting to the database [I get a failed attempt sent by TITUS at the time set in my CRON file, and a success notification from RAINCOAT at a different time, NOT specified in my CRON file]. Strainge.

The only other issue is the disappearance of a link on cpanel to my trial SpamExperts account for one of my domains. Not a big deal... I don't think I will be continuing with SpamExperts. The filtering model seems a little backwards. False positives are not easily distinguishable from the hundreds of obviously unquestionable spam. The interface looks nice, but it just isn't that functional. I'm actually much happier with Spamassassin now that I've finally gotten it dialed in. I just shitcan the high score stuff, and never look at it (score above 4 or 5 I think). Then I spam folder a second tier (maybe 10 messages/day, scores above 2), and direct third tier messages into a marginal folder (scores above 1.5, maybe one or two messages per day). I've also been training with SA-learn on any false positives and missed spam.

Brandan
    Another oddity... check out the this link... titus.nswebhost.com totally NOT what I expected.