Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on No more shell access for customers? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I requested shell access for one of my customer accounts and received this from support: Sorry that shell access can be enabled for the main ...

Optimistic Pessimist

No more shell access for customers?

I requested shell access for one of my customer accounts and received this from support:

Sorry that shell access can be enabled for the main reseller account only. Thank
    you for your understanding.
    When/why did this policy change? I have checked some of my other accounts and the shell access still works. Some things are a pain to do with web tools.

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I requested shell access for one of my customer accounts and received this from support:

When/why did this policy change? I have checked some of my other accounts and the shell access still works. Some things are a pain to do with web tools.
    It has been over a year now. It was changed for security reasons. The main reseller account holder we thoroughly verify and do checks on when they sign up plus we have their information if the system was to be compromised. In the case of the resold accounts we aren't able to verify them nor do we have their information. We want to limit exposure to potentially people who are looking to do the server or other systems harm via ssh.
    Zachary | Chief Customer Officer
    JaguarPC.com

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

How are we doing? Tell us at qa@jaguarpc.com.

Optimistic Pessimist
    I hate to be rude, but what a load of tosh. How much harm are people doing to the server in jailshell? Saying that if a client signs up with you they can have shell access*, but if they sign up with me they can't is insulting. Essentially, your policy is to treat my resold accounts as second class behind your resold accounts.

I'm really unhappy about this and I would like the policy reversed, please.

* https://www.jaguarpc.com/web-hosting-service/

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I hate to be rude, but what a load of tosh. How much harm are people doing to the server in jailshell? Saying that if a client signs up with you they can have shell access*, but if they sign up with me they can't is insulting. Essentially, your policy is to treat my resold accounts as second class behind your resold accounts.

I'm really unhappy about this and I would like the policy reversed, please.

* https://www.jaguarpc.com/web-hosting-service/
    We will keep your feedback in mind when reviewing our policies. In the meantime, we do offer virtual private servers for those resellers who require setups different than our standard configuration. This might be a good option for your needs.
    Zachary | Chief Customer Officer
    JaguarPC.com

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

How are we doing? Tell us at qa@jaguarpc.com.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Matthew,

To emphasize what Zach said, I've been happier than should be legal since I've moved from reseller to the managed vps system. Since you're such a long-term client, maybe you could contact Zach and see if they can find you a vps plan that will work in your budget.

Really, I had nothing but problems with software version and other clients causing issues after having been on the reseller machine for so long.... the VPS has been a godsend.
    Good luck

Optimistic Pessimist
    Thanks Ron. I'm just struggling with the idea that to get back one particular feature that I used to have, I'm being told by the management that I need to pay almost twice as much for nearly half as much space and less than a third of the bandwidth. Then add on the extras like cPanel, Softaculous, and managed services. Even with coupons (which don't appear to be available for the smallest option), it's still not that good of a deal considering that the account I've had for the last 8 years had been meeting my meagre needs.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Since you're such a long-term client, maybe you could contact Zach specifically and personally and see if they can find you a vps plan that will work in your budget.
    Good luck

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Since you're such a long-term client, maybe you could contact Zach specifically and personally and see if they can find you a vps plan that will work in your budget.
    It's a year old thread - I know that, but since it has been 2 years, and as far as I know, nothing has changed in the policy, as it was suggested it would be reviewed.

I agree with and understand Matthews take on suddenly and without warning, losing another Plan Feature, and later, having to explain it to one's client.
    I have been told too I would need to pay loads more for VPS to recover some of the options we use to have. I felt like I was being squeezed out of Reseller in to a more expensive VPS - like the landlord turns off the hot water and tells you to pay more rent for a hot bath. Jaguar soiled on its own image by doing this.
    Anything can be said and done 'for security' purposes.

I don't know how many Reseller accounts there are, but I'm sure if they all converted to VP$, well, enough said.

I'm not complaining - just sayin...
    ~He will always be my best friend, and was a better human than most people I know. Boomer - June 15 1994 - May 9, 2008~.