Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on If your electric company told you.... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
The wires to you house are overloaded so we cut them. If you need any further assistance please let us know. What impression would that ...

Nearly 100% Pure Carbon thecoalman's Avatar

If your electric company told you....

The wires to you house are overloaded so we cut them.

If you need any further assistance please let us know.
    What impression would that leave you with? If you were waiting on the phone for what must be 3 hours now for explanation and options?
    Earlier today the main hardware node went inaccessible all of a sudden, investigations revealed that one of your IP xx.xx.xxx.xxx was receiving too much of malicious traffic for Apache server. To get your VPS as well as other VPSs on the node back online we had no choice but to NULL route the target IP.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    I realize you are running a business and this may have been your best option HOWEVER I'm running a business too and I'm completely in the dark. Based on the access logs it appears it was DDOS attack.

Are you monitoring it? Is it continuing? A quick check suggest these are all foreign IP's, can they be blocked and allow US traffic. What are my options?

I've been here for 10 years and if I don't get answers quickly I'm going to be the next long time customer leaving. The lack of communication is unacceptable.

Ticket is still unanswered.

Being ddos'd sucks. I agree. For your analogy the fuses in your breaker box will do exactly that. Looks like cloudflare has maybe solved your issues but they will monitor to verify.
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer

Les, if the electrician had said I would suggest replacing your fuses with these better fuses after pulling them I'd be fine with that. In this case he pulled the fuses and left me with a note with absolutely no indication of what was next.

My complaint is not about the fuses being pulled, it's the lack of communication and the lengthy waits for a response. There is a 3 1/2 hour lapse between being informed the "fuses" were being pulled and any information.

I understand that. We talked in PM's and we continue to work to improve on reply times. It is an ongoing process after any larger scale issues like last month.
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer