Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on News pro - perl help? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
can someone tell me what the path to the perl is? /usr/bin/perl Is what I have? ...

Loyal Client

News pro - perl help?

can someone tell me what the path to the perl is?
    /usr/bin/perl
    Is what I have?
    outlawz_pac2000

It'll depend on your server, but /usr/bin/perl is usually safe.

You can find all sorts of nifty info from your CPanel, under the "Click Here" link by "Perl/PHP/System
    Information".

One of the pages, http://[your machine].nocdns.com/perldiver.cgi, gives all the info you could ever want about Perl on your system.

Loyal Client
    Thanks! Im using "/usr/bin/perl5.00503" and have followed the entire instructions but when I type in http://tharealest.shynepo.net/path/newspro.cgi I am not getting any results! Can you help?
    outlawz_pac2000

/usr/bin/perl5.00503 will only work if it's the name of one of the versions of Perl installed on your system.

The path should probably be /usr/bin/perl instead, since that's usually a link (alias) to the latest version of Perl on your system. It's more portable and will still work even if they upgrade to another version.

At the command prompt through ssh, try /usr/bin/perl -v. It'll give you the version of Perl found at that path.

Loyal Client
    Ummm I have tried all the paths to perl now! i think it must be something else :bawl:
    I don't know what though! Anyone? Im getting a 404 error!
    outlawz_pac2000

404's some up when the requested file can't be found, not a problem with your config. It's what I was getting when I tried the url you provided. I assumed it was a sample -- perhaps that's the problem? Make sure that your http:// path matches where the file is located and is named in your account.

That is, if the file is at /home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/foo.cgi, then the url is http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/foo.cgi.

Loyal Client
    i have tried numerous URL's now that it might be. It is in the CGI-BIN, but it's on a sub domain, does that make a difference?
    Im trying
    http://tharealest.shynepo.net/path/cgi-bin/NEWSPRO.cgi
    and alot of other URL's like that with out the "path" ETC ETC!
    outlawz_pac2000

I don't have a lot of experience with subdomains, but I did do a search on "subdomain" in these forums. I found this thread that might have some hints (I didn't look at them all, just a few, so maybe others will answer your question better).

What it looks like is that there's a folder with the same name of your subdomain (the part before the first dot) that is created in the public_html folder. This is the root for the subdomain. So, you would need to place your files in something like /home/username/public_html/subdomain/cgi-bin/. These would then be accessible from http://subdomain.domain.com/cgi-bin/.

Any variables in the script that need a part or the whole of the path would need to be changed likewise. Make sure that the cgi-bin and subdomain folders both have 755 file permissions, or else you won't be able to execute the scripts.

Hopefully, this helps. If not, maybe one of the other threads will help more -- or someone in the US will be awake soon.

I'd be curious to see what works out. I've been thinking of subdomains, too. But first I have to get cracking on my main site...!

Loyal Client
    I really appreciate the help! But I have put all the relevant material in the CGi-BIN of the sub-domain (tharealest)!
    It's confusing, but I bet its obvious!
    outlawz_pac2000

Loyal Client
    Heck, I'll throw another brick at you. On some server is both, /usr/bin/perl AND /usr/local/bin/perl. What's worse, one is for the old perl v 5.0, the other one for v 5.6. What's even worse, the newer version on Scorpion doesn't have as many modules as the old one :weyes:

Only way to sort the mess is by typing from the command line:

"which perl"

Which should tell you the default perl

Then do

"/usr/local/bin/perl -v"

and

"/usr/bin/perl -v"

to see if you have different versions in different places.

To test if a given module is instaled on either, explicitly do

"/usr/local/bin/perl -e "use MODULE_NAME;"
    "/usr/bin/perl -e "use MODULE_NAME;"

where MODULE_NAME is the name of the module you want to use. If you run that and nothing happens, you are good to go. If you get an error, it means that the library isn't there.

The last thing is that if the above environment applies to you and hopefully to user "nobody". I say 'hopefully' because that isn't nesesarily the case, it could be different

Leave it to you and me to say a lot about the little things, DevNull!

It sounds like the main problem here is that the file isn't being found -- whether because it's not in the right place or because the server isn't looking in the right place.

Do you (DevNull) happen to have any tips on subdomains? I'm stuck...

Tha_Realest:

I see that the main page of the subdomain came up fine. Did you try putting in a test .html page in the cgi-bin directory under the subdomain and seeing if that came up?

Another thing: the url will be case sensitive.

Finally: I noticed that in both your examples, you had the word "path" included in the path. Is this really the right path to the program? I.E., is this really the folder that the files's located in? I'm sorry to harp on this point, but it seems to me that it's the most likely culprit since it looks more like an example url given by the documentation than a real url.

Like I said, leave it to some of us to go on forever about the smallest things!

deal: to get real support you should probably provide a URL and not put "path" like jkeller said.

if you don't know the url, tell us where you put it FTP wise, copy the path from your FTP client and paste it here.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Its all in the CGI-BIN!
    Im gonna try all the things ya'll have said to do!
    Thanks for the help!
    outlawz_pac2000