Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on favicon ? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Could someone please tell me what size a favicon should be? Is it a 32x32 or a 16X16 icon and should it be made in ...

Loyal Client

favicon ?

Could someone please tell me what size a favicon should be? Is it a 32x32 or a 16X16 icon and should it be made in 256 color or less? After I have created one where does it go? Into the main directory or the images directory of my web site.
    Thanks for any help.

alexodin
    favicon must be 16x16 in dimension - 16 colors and must be saved as a .ico file.

The file favicon.ico should be placed in the root directory on the server hosting your web page.

good link is http://www.favicons.com

Loyal Client
    Check this site out.
    http://www.favicon.co.uk
    You can make one there, and it explains what you need to know.

Loyal Client
    thanks alex .. you are always very helpfull
    and thanks as well gaspain. both of those links are excellent!

Ah! But it is I, ze complicateur, with more...

The specs define the icon as a single 16x16 pixel image, 256 colors max.

In reality, favicon.ico can be any valid Windows icon file. That means you can use your favorite icon editor to create a multi-image icon file, including formats only supported by XP (which means alpha channels).

The rendering of an icon is handled by Windows, so the application -- even non-MS browsers -- really don't look at the contents. The spec is (my guess) just a way to ensure a certain amount of compatibility for those non-Windows OSes. It is a pretty nice feature, even if MS chose to use the .ico format when .gif or .png would've made much more sense in the context of a Web app.

As for location, you can have a site icon as well as sub-icons. Like the .htaccess file for Apache, the icon file in the current directory overrides any file(s) in the levels above. I've never tried this, but it seems to be used successfully by other sites.