Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on SSH Accounts in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Good day/evening ladies and gentlemans, Is there any way to setup a SSH account for a certain directory? Is the PHP engine will be upgraded? ...

Loyal Client

SSH Accounts

Good day/evening ladies and gentlemans,

Is there any way to setup a SSH account for a certain directory?

Is the PHP engine will be upgraded?

PHP_Fan.

Re: SSH Accounts

Originally posted by php_fan
    Is there any way to setup a SSH account for a certain directory.
    Can't you just like "cd" into another directory? i don't know SSH too well, but someone here probably does. you only have 1 SSH account, i believe.

Originally posted by php_fan
    Is the PHP engine will be upgraded?
    was that a question? it's not grammatically correct and i'm not sure what you mean.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    1. I'm so sorry for my grammar, I still have problems sometimes to express myself correctly. Mea culpa
    I'm not as perfect as you are, so please forgive me.

2. I know I have only 1 ssh account, but I need an another one.

3. PHP ver. on eagle still 4.0.7. I believe the latest one is 4.1.1. Just curious.

i'm nowhere near perfect!

i think you get only one account. if you want another, you need to ask aletia for it and explain why. chances are though, you probably don't need another. whatever it is you need to do, there's probably a workaround.

upgrading was a pain on a couple of the machines that did get upgraded and i'm not sure when they plan on upgrading for your machine
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

IDB
    Code Guru
    Why would you want to give SSH access to someone else (I presume that's why you need another account)?

Won't a separate FTP account suffice?

As Ian says, FTP would be a much more logical option if you're sharing. There are enough security risks as it is in multihosting that Aletia is unlikely to create a new user account.

Typically, each user account has its own home. Each user corresponds to a paying customer. No one normal user can have write access to another's area by default. Combine all these things, and you create a headache if you try and maintain groups of users under one paying account.

I would either come to an agreement with anyone that you want to use your account or I would just create a new FTP user and rope him off.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Aletia does this for the reseller accounts. So, maybe you'd be able to get this sort of functionality, but would have to pay more.

Loyal Client
    Yes. you are right. I solved the problem, and I agreed with the user to use ftp and if they need something changed then I will do it.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys/ladies.