Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on vBulletin update... Interview with Sitepoint.com in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Recently, I had commented about not using vB . Using phpBB RC-2 for the obvious reason, It's FREE! After reading this article I am re-evaluating ...

Loyal Client

vBulletin update... Interview with Sitepoint.com

Recently, I had commented about not using vB.
    Using phpBB RC-2 for the obvious reason, It's FREE!

After reading this article I am re-evaluating this decision, for certain.
    Even as a relative newbie, the advantages of vB are clear.

How much of an increase do you feel will take place? Seeing as how it looks to be more of an "entire package" (portal/cms software), offering a completely vB driven site.

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    phpBB not only is free but it's very stable and close to its final release.

VBulletin is commercial. I found the article to be a free advertisement for vB instead of a hands-on review of the most popular BB software out there.
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

hell no, we won't go!
    vB IMHO is a better piece of software. I would take it any day over phpBB. phpBB, however, is still a wonderful piece of software.

Just read that article, it's very good. I'm really looking forward to vB 3 (actually, I'm looking forward to phpBB2 right now, but when I get the money I'll be looking forward to vB 3 ).
    - Colin

I like food.

alexodin
    I would say "lets wait"

1. remember, phpbb2 is RC, not a production system
    2. if you check the code you will see some features that will be included in to release (like file attachment and so on)
    3. after they release the board, they are going to create a portal which is sound interesting.

4. there is another player on that field - iBforums.
    We should see beta version this week.
    I'm not going to argue how good its code is - until we get our hand over it, there is nothing to say, but (!) looking at IKonboard, I can say, that this board will have a lot of features.

hell no, we won't go!
    Yes, both the devs of phpBB and and the former devs of iB are excellent coders and have created great products. But, I have to say that after using and playing around with phpBB and vB I prefer vB. However, I don't know if I will ever need all the featurs of vB and right now phpBB serves its purpose wonderfully!

To each their own...
    - Colin

I like food.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by timechange
    I found the article to be a free advertisement for vB instead of a hands-on review of the most popular BB software out there.
    Maybe that is because it is not a "hands-on review" it is an interview with John Percival!

Sean