Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on NeoMail Reading HTML pages? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I don't know how this happened, but tonight, I opened a e-mail that usaully shows a bunch of source code, and viola, it appears as ...

Aletia Customer

NeoMail Reading HTML pages?

I don't know how this happened, but tonight, I opened a e-mail that usaully shows a bunch of source code, and viola, it appears as a regualr HTML page, with a scroll bar. Did NeoMail release a new version? Is this happening to everyone? If so, its' a nice change.

alexodin
    Neomail was able to show you HTML pages, but you could not send your email as HTML.

Aletia Customer
    It's never done that before. I have used NeoMail since September, and it's never done that. I just noticed it the first time yesterday.

This, from the NeoMail web site:

Q. Why aren't HTML e-mails supported?
    A. Because HTML e-mails are the most abhorrent things that exist in the e-mail world. All self-respecting mail clients that can send HTML e-mail provide an option for sending mails in both plaintext and HTML format, and NeoMail can read the plaintext version of those just fine. Anyone sending their e-mails in solely HTML format is probably someone you don't want to be corresponding with. Malicious Javascript in HTML mails is bad news. Worse yet, many spammers will send their mails in HTML only, and reference an image that is loaded from a server's CGI script, which logs your e-mail address as valid.

Q. I still want HTML mail. It's a shortcoming of NeoMail that it doesn't filter out all the possible nastiness and display the HTML as best it can.
    A. Do you have any idea how incredibly difficult it is to ensure the absence of any HTML that could possibly be used maliciously in a processor- and memory-efficient manner? It's not possible in a purely perl CGI without incurring unacceptable performance penalties. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying, or not really taking into consideration all possibilities of abuse. Additionally, as NeoMail is viewed through a web browser, any time a new hole opens up in a browser, a new vulnerability exists which the user should be protected from. Guess what? Not displaying HTML messages eliminates EVERY ONE of these possibilities.

So there has to have been some kind of change to make it display HTML messages as web pages. I'm totally baffled!