Web Hosting Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This is a discussion on Why wont this domain expire? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
how do you find out which registrar the person used if it isn't listed? (this is for some other domain i want btw) ...

how do you find out which registrar the person used if it isn't listed? (this is for some other domain i want btw)
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Julie,

Every domain "registrar" site's WHOIS seems to list different info. Some list a bit more than others. That is how I got to the bottom of Drey's wanted domain name. What domain are you looking for? PM or email me if you want to keep it under wraps and I'll see if I can get some low-down for you.

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    That's the first domain name I've seen with NetSol which does not list an expiration date.
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Originally posted by clio
    how do you find out which registrar the person used if it isn't listed? (this is for some other domain i want btw)
    When the DNS system was reorganized to allow competing registrars, whois queries becaome a two-step process: the first to find the registrar, the second to query the registrar's servers for the registration information.

Registrars' servers usually hide this information, and of course make it a one-step process for you. I really like Sam Spade (www.samspade.org) for its tools, among them a nice "magic" whois query.

For an example, try this dragonfire.net whois query. Notice that at the top, the "magic" whois shows who the registrar is.

Not just cool, it's automagic!

:bawl:

it's network solutions!
    and they used to be an internet consulting company......

... all the bad signs someone pointed out .....

- Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by clio

it's network solutions!

Sorry to hear that .... in both cases.

Loyal Client
    I am watching another couple of good names who are registered with netsol...I think it will take them forever to expire. I actually wanted to use snapnames for getting them, but since it's netsol, I can't be sure that they expire within a year

but the one i want expired at the beginning of january. what if i talked to netsol about getting the domain name? i've tried emailing the consulting firm that has the domain but of course they all bounce back since the domain's expired and the site exists no longer.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

I have seen domains that are inactive since 1999 and are still kept hostage by Network Solutions.

should i contact network solutions?
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Sure, email is free, no stamps needed

You will receive a canned response of the kind:

"We are releasing domains that have expired in unspecified intervals blah blah blah"

Loyal Client
    ...and probably a note saying 'we'll release it to you for $xxx', or worse, bid on it.
    Then you have shown interest in the domain and they will hold it even longer.
    I've heard they are holding domains they think they can get more for.
    You're between a rock and a hard spot .

Loyal Client
    NetSol have also been known to "lose" domains that were fully-registered etc, still had months to go. I know a couple of people this has happened to. They're also rather slow in releasing domains if you want to take them to another registrar (and after the initial 2yr rego period has passed).

I had one domain with them which I decided to let go because I knew it was sought-after in geneaology circles but they were still bugging me (by snail mail) to renew it ...three months after it should have expired. I haven't checked it so it may still be being "held hostage", though I certainly hope not (6 months later, more or less).

Other registrars I wouldn't know about, but a recent experience tells me to be wary of WorldSite (.ws), whose policy is apparently to auto-renew a domain for you if they don't hear otherwise. I didn't select that option, dammit, and imo if I don't tell a registrar to do something for me they should assume I don't want it done! :(

As for whois, I've found that the registrar you buy through makes a difference as to how much info shows up. If you buy the domain through the host you're going to be with, less info shows up on a whois based elsewhere than it does on the whois provided by that host, and so on. Depends how sensitive you are about people knowing your middle initial. ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2