Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why wont this domain expire? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Ok, heres the deal. I wanted to purshase this domain www.dragonfire.net for the longest time. The site has not worked for years, as it was ...

Loyal Client

Why wont this domain expire?

Ok, heres the deal. I wanted to purshase this domain www.dragonfire.net for the longest time. The site has not worked for years, as it was shut down in Late '99. The domain should have expired 2-25-02, yet it still seems to say that its registered. Does anybody have an explanation here? Thanks...:bawl:
    zetsubouclub

sometimes registrars still hold domains for users though they've expired. my dad forgot to renew his and it was overdue almost a month. i only found out by doing a WHOIS by chance.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Yeah, it can take sometimes longer than a month for a registrar to release a domain. They do that so registerees have a good chance to renew their domains before someone else snatches them up.

It took 34 days after the auctual expiration of tribby.com before I could register it.

Some services like NameWinner (http://www.namewinner.com/) claim to be able to register a domain for you the second it expires. Haven't tried that though.

Loyal Client
    it can even take years until a name actually drops (especially when it was registered with netsol).
    Just look at the whois of doomstrife.com!

Loyal Client
    Thanks guy, I guess I'll be able to register that domain soon enough
    zetsubouclub

Loyal Client
    It used to be simpler to tell when a domain was about to be deleted from the whois database - in general it was usually about a month or 45 days after the original expiry - plus, by watching the database you would sometimes get a clue a few days before the record was deleted.

However, in recent months, all this has changed. I've even resorted to using expirefish.com for a couple of abandoned domains that I would be very interested in adding to my collection (in order to put them to use, rather than see them squatted upon).

At least, since the dot-com bubble burst, some very interesting domains are becoming available.

Loyal Client
    A dot-com bubble burst? What is that?
    zetsubouclub

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Drey Johns
    A dot-com bubble burst? What is that?
    Seen what's happened to stocks for internet-based companies over the last couple of years? In case you missed it, there's been some interesting articles at http://news.bbc.co.uk on the subject over the past week - fairly upbeat.

However, considering the way the market went...

You could compare it to the South Sea Bubble

or even Tulipomania...

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    The rule of thumb for domain expirations hosted by Network Solutions was that, 45 days after the end of the domain registration the domain would enter a 'worm-hole' for 5 days. Then, on the 6th day at around 5:30am Eastern Time these domains would be released en masse. That led to a lot of traffic to the registrar's WHOIS system every day around that time. So Network Solutions decided to either release the names more randomly, or some, none at all. There are domains held hostage by Network Solutions (and a few others, like Register.com) simply because the names are valuable. Some of them have been sold off at little-publicized auctions or through the verisign subsidiary, "GreatDomains.com".

If you want to read more, go to http://www.NSIhorrorstories.com
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Loyal Client
    Wow! Now here's a prime example of "everything happens for a reason".

First of all, hang in there Drey and best of luck.

After reading this post this morning, I went and checked a domain name that I was after and which had expired back in December. I kept checking back then almost every day for a month and .... nothing. It was simply not available even though it was clearly expired. Well, when I checked this morning, imagine my amazement when I saw the words
    The domain you have chosen is available. Would you like to register it now?
    I tell you, I almost peed my pants. I bought it right away and it now says "not available" but the WHOIS info is still blank. I'll believe it when I see it tomorrow.

The best part is that I have been holding on to the .ca (Canada) same domain and the @yahoo and @hotmail addresses ...just in case.

Moral of the story Drey: keep the dream alive!

Loyal Client
    SillyAlien...your story has insirped me . Yeah, I can't wait until the domain will be avaliable. "Keeping the dream alive"

zetsubouclub

Loyal Client
    Drey, keep the drem alive for sure!

Funny thing. The .info domain for that name went tonight too, right after I registered the .com

Truth is... I built a whole site around this name, but was too slow in registering it almost 2 years ago. All I was left with was the .ca alternative. I eneded up changing the domain name in anticipation of the return of the original one. That day has come. I can now redesign around the original concept and change my old graphics back to what they were.

Incidentally, the other owner of the domain never had it even pointed at anything. It either timed out 75% of the time and didnt show on the WHOIS, or pointed at some simple static page with no links. Imagine my pain.

Well... I have gotten back what was rightfully mine.
    Give me some time to recover.

Keep the dream alive, Drey!

Loyal Client
    SillyAlien, what was the doman name? It must have been pretty popular
    zetsubouclub

Loyal Client
    Drey, I don't think it was popular at all, because as I mentioned, the previous owner didn't have it pointing anywhere. I think it was stored on a "home machine" name server which wasn't on that often.

Anyhow, the name is lotterygateway.com
    I already own lotterygateway.ca but had to go with a different set after that other one fell through.

Not a real biggie, but it will do me just fine.

Loyal Client
    Hi again Drey,

I've been looking into your "wanted" domain. A few interesting facts emerged. In most WHOIS searches, the domain "dragonfire.net" surfaces as registered at Network Solutions (bad sign #1) and belonging to an internet hosting company (bad sign #2) ...

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
    Hostmaster, DreamHaven (HD472-ORG) [email protected]
    DreamHaven Internet Services
    20611-E Bothell-Everett Hwy #334
    Bothell, WA 98012
    USA
    000-000-0000
    Fax- 000-000-0000

Record last updated on 05-Mar-2002.
    Record created on 24-Feb-1996.
    Database last updated on 17-Mar-2002 10:36:00 EST.
    The above was taken right off the NetSol WHOIS database. The same shows on pretty much every other site's WHOIS listing. As you can see there is no expiry date and the record was updated very recently. This being an internet "services" company, I have a strong feeling that in a week or so we'll see an expiry date where there isn't one now.

Sorry if this is all negative, Drey, but I like calling it like it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast