Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on looking for some kind of php script. in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I want to find some kind of php script for a fanfiction archive I may be doing. What I want is it to have a ...

Aya
    Loyal Client

looking for some kind of php script.

I want to find some kind of php script for a fanfiction archive I may be doing. What I want is it to have a submission field so I can enter in the fic into it, and it will automatically put it up on the site and create a link to it (hopefully in alphabetical order, or under the name of that particular author on a main listing). It would also be great if it had some kind of 'review' (so readers can post feedback) on each story, similiar to what fanfiction.net has.
    Archiving fanfic can get tedious, so I was hoping for a shortcut.

I've seen a couple of things like this on various script sites, but was hoping for some reccomendations. Thank you!

Loyal Client

Well- it ain't php...

But it's the best (and only) decent script I've found for this sorta thing- looks almost identical to ffn. It's Interactive Fiction from 21st century scripts: http://scripts.21stcenturyhost.net/if/index.htm . I have a slightly older version on my site- install was easy. There's a free and a pro version.

I looked a LONG time- this is the only thing I found that even came CLOSE to doing everything you'd want a fanfic script to do. Word of warning, though- it's a flat file system. Heavy use might get you shut down. I asked before I installed, and aletia said it was okay to install- but that excessive cpu use would get it cut off. My archive is pretty dead- so the issue has never really been put to the test. I have asked the script author about a mysql version, and he said he's planning/working on one- but it's been a while. I haven't bothered updating to the newest version because I'm waiting on the mysql version.

In short- it couldn't hurt to try the free version. There really isn't anything comparable that I could find. Luck with it- r

Loyal Client
    Aya,
    I remember seeing the perfect fanfiction script you are looking for - but it was Perl. If you still are interested (this script was fast and simple), - then go to www.ffethos.com. I'm pretty sure they would be happy to answer questions for you (They used this script - I forgot the name of it)
    zetsubouclub

Aya
    Loyal Client
    Thanks for the responses guys. I decided since it won't be a very big archive, I will just instead focus on finding a commetning script that would work similiar to those blog commenting scritps. If you know of one, please respond to my other thread.

why not just use a news script? fanfic can be long like 200kb, can a small commenting DB handle that?

besides, news programs are more nifty and have categories.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer