Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on [ot]: mod_rewrite in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Sorry, I couldn't find an appropriate forum for this question, so I'm hoping someone here might have had some experience. I thought that I had ...

Loyal Client

[ot]: mod_rewrite

Sorry, I couldn't find an appropriate forum for this question, so I'm hoping someone here might have had some experience.

I thought that I had a firm grasp on regular expressions but I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish what I want with mod_rewrite.

I would like to make it so that, instead of putting files in ~/public_html/, I could put them in ~/public_html/stevenv/ (for example), because I plan on eventually multihosting other domains and it would reduce clutter if all sites went into their own subdirectories.

Here are some things I've tried (in my .htaccess, of course):

Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^(.*[^/]) stevenv/$1

AFAIK, $1 should be zero or more of any characters uneless they have a slash (/). i.e. foo.html should match and be sent to stevenv/foo.html, shouldn't it? A slight variant to this one I have tried is:

RewriteRule ^(.*) stevenv/$1

This was for testing purposing because I don't want to send all requests into this subdir, only requets for files within my www root. Why didn't .* match foo.html and send it to stevenv/foo.html?

This one did work for me (although useless):

Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^foo.html stevenv/foo.html

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong I would really appreciate it, I must have tried atleast a hundred different RewriteRules over the past three days

thanks
    steven

request tribby, our resident rewrite expert
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by clio
    request tribby, our resident rewrite expert
    Again?

stevenv, try this:

RewriteEngine on

rewritecond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourdomain\.com$
    rewritecond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/stevenv/
    RewriteRule (.*) /stevenv/$1

rewritecond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.yourdomain\.com$
    rewritecond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/stevenv/
    RewriteRule (.*) /stevenv/$1

That should probably succeed in reducing the clutter once you multihost some domains.

Loyal Client

works great :)

Thanks tribby, that worked great.

Now I have another question though. Some of my files are going to be straight .html, some are going to be .php. In the future, I might decide to make an .html file a .php file for whatever reason.

Is it possible, using mod_rewrite, to make it so that I can link to just index (just a file name - no extension), for example and have it check to see whether an index.html or index.php exists?

If it's not possible using mod_rewrite, I guess I'll go ahead and modify what they have on http://www.alistapart.com/stories/succeed/. ...Or is there another method that I'm overlooking?

Loyal Client

figured it out

It was a lot easier than I thought All I had to do was add:

Options MultiViews

to my .htaccess

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html if anyone wants more info