Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Cheetah probs in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I can get to my regular site, but can't access any of my mysql/php pages. I get email errors from my app: mysql error: Too ...

Loyal Client

Cheetah probs

I can get to my regular site, but can't access any of my mysql/php pages. I get email errors from my app:

mysql error: Too many connections

This has been going on for 3 days now, but this is the first time I've been completely shut out of sections of my site. I filed a report yesterday, but no resolution yet, and it's getting worse.

Loyal Client
    I am on cheetah - and with the exception to the high server load from a particular user (who's been identified and blocked), I haven't noticed any other problems. In fact, I even visited your site - and didn't notice any problems, access - mysql (forums) - page loads...all seemed to be running fine. When I checked your latest posts on your forums, there have been posts at least 25 posts in the last 24 hours alone.

Unless the website on cheetah isn't RetouchPro...then if you want to throw the url up here, I'd be happy to check it out for you.

Regards,
    Michelle

Loyal Client
    It cleared up shortly after I posted...like I said, it comes and goes.

Loyal Client

isn't that the way...

I know how frustrating that is...especially when you need tech to see the problem firsthand. Have you looked at your error logs to see if there has been any recorded errors at the times of the outages?

I only say that because I have been on my site about 10-12 hours everyday for the last several days - and haven't noted any mysql problems. Not that I doubt there is a probem, but it could be a problem with one of your scripts.

I've made erroneous edits on a database script, that have caused the same problems you are explaining..."too many connections". I usually only see that when I've done something that makes one of my processes loop. Of course, it's also happened when another user on cheetah has flubbed their scripts as well.

Loyal Client
    I suppose your problems were caused by the high load of 55.63 54.43 38.00, which happened at around midnight GMT.

Even now, we have a relative high load of 2.15 2.41 2.60 (compared to the other servers, which are all below 0).

Alexander

Loyal Client
    I suppose the renegade process user has found a way around their block.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by dnelson
    I suppose the renegade process user has found a way around their block.
    I dont know, but the load is since a few hours unusual higher again (5.62 4.58 4.95 right now).

Alexander

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by zoid

I dont know, but the load is since a few hours unusual higher again (5.62 4.58 4.95 right now).

Alexander
    I don't know if the account blocked the other day is causing these loads. The one the other day were creating load times of over 100 - this is nothing compared to that...but still shows someone else is using up more than their share of resources.

As for the mySQL problem from dnelson...the only other time I have seen the "too many connections" - was from the /var being full. I've never seen that when loads have gone this high - or when they were as high as 50+. I would be inclined to think it's someone playing with their script (which would make sense as to why it's happening one minute and not the next) - rather than high loads straining the databases. I've just not seen that happen, but I'm not saying it hasn't.

Loyal Client
    Just got this a few minutes ago:

mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

mysql error number: 2002

Loyal Client
    I've been on my site for the last 30 (in my forums) - and haven't had a problem. What script are you trying to access when you encounter this problem...and do you find this happens when you are accessing this script only? Or does it happen with other scripts as well?

Sorry for all the q's, just trying to help you find out what the problem is...

Loyal Client
    I have 3 scripts and a cron job...the only script that I have set up to notify me is vBulletin, so most of the error messages I get are from that. However, I also have a cron job set up to backup my db nightly, and it's failed the past 4 nights and sent me an error msg.

Plus, a week ago it took about 20 seconds to manually backup my db, now it takes several minutes (db is essentially the same size).

Loyal Client
    I would think that your backup script may be timing out.

I had a script to check for bad links - and I would run it weekly. However, it never ran on Aletia. I think their permissions are set different from my last host (where I didn't have a problem one running the script).

Another script (myMail) I couldn't get to run on Aletia servers - I was told to set my timout permissions higher in my .htaccess. That seemed to have worked - but I really don't know if it was by dumb coincidence.

As for your forums, have you recently added a hack/modification - or made any changes in your php files?

Loyal Client
    That's the odd thing, I haven't changed a thing. Everything runs great for months, then last week I started getting all these errors and timeouts.