Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Preventing hotlinking of images in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I don't think this is happening yet, but I want to take preventive measures to make sure it doesn't. I used the script provided by ...

Preventing hotlinking of images

I don't think this is happening yet, but I want to take preventive measures to make sure it doesn't. I used the script provided by Aletia in the control panel to stop hotlinking, and loaded it into .htaccess per the instructions...but when I did, my site was not viewable.

So, I deleted the script, and my site was back. Somehow this script took my site down. Do I need to place this in an area other than the public_html folder, or change permissions or something?

Thanks,
    Andy

hell no, we won't go!
    Try searching this forum. There were several discussions about this a month or two ago. Hopefully you could find a solution in one of those threads...
    - Colin

I like food.

Not working

Hi Dogma, thanks for responding. Yes, I did do a search and found several threads about this. However, when I follow the advice, I get an Internal Server Error screen when trying to view my site.

So, the code provided by Aletia in the online manual takes my site down! I must be doing something wrong. What else needs to be done besides adding the "no hotlinking" code to the .htaccess file?

Andy

Here's what is showing in my error log:

.htaccess: RewriteRule: bad flag delimiters

What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks...

Loyal Client
    Sorry Andy,
    Haven't tried that one. I saw something else on the subject not long ago. I'll try and remember where I saw it and get back to you.

Loyal Client
    Andy,
    Here's the one I was thinking of. Don't know if it's the same one you tried or not http://alicorna.com/techtips.html#bandwidththeft