Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Rasadam.com - Analysis please :) in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Greetings, I'd like your opinion on my site, http://www.rasadam.com . Not much content on it, but the layout is what I'd like to know about, ...

Ras
    Loyal Client

Rasadam.com - Analysis please :)

Greetings,

I'd like your opinion on my site, http://www.rasadam.com . Not much content on it, but the layout is what I'd like to know about, is it good or not?

Mind you, this is my personal site, so if you are expecting a professional site, don't click the link above
    rastabeenz

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    Excuse my yelling but......

...IS THIS REALLY DIEGITO??????????

man...I can't believe the shape he's in
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Loyal Client
    Yeah, me too, I thought it was a joke at first. Poor Diego.

/me looks forward to the day when I can rest the TV remote on a beer belly just like that.

..Oh, ooops .... nice site by the way. Keep it coming

Yes... Did you see the 'goodbye' match, Argentina vs Rest of the World ?? It was great... I think he is a hero for alot of people.
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

Loyal Client
    Good, clean layout and colors. That guy looks like a good player

I'll take it in the spirit that it's meant, as a personal site. I see it as a collection of cool things, and I think it works that way. Otherwise:

I'd recommend using left-aligned text. Center-aligning things makes it really tough to follow the flow. This is especially true for a single sentence that's juuust long enough to wrap around hand have only one or two words on the next line.

I suggest making the navigation color something with a higher contrast to the black band; it's hard to see the blue. Also, highlight the currently selected section. It's a little thing, but does a lot to remind the visitor where they are.

The "home" link should be the first one in the list. Logically, it's the topmost page -- or, in a flat structure like yours, the "leftmost" page in the sequence. I'd also consider grouping items, like contact and about, that are related. You don't always need a multi-level hierarchy, but the order would help people find a flow.

Finally, the forum needs to be better integrated. The visitor loses the navigation, and the only way "back" to the site (since it feels like a completely different site) is to click on a logo buried at the bottom of the page.

Technical bug I noticed when browsing: the projects page needs to have a trailing "/" added to the links. Clicking on any link in the top navigation bar leads to www.rasadam.snikla.com (presumably, you've multihosted; trailing slashes are required in order for multihosted domains to stay "stuck").

Overall, it looks like a fun place to visit. I think that personal sites reflect their creator, and so I always like to see what others have done. With a small bit of housecleaning, you'll make it easier to explore what you have to offer. Good luck -- and more importantly, have fun!

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    jkeller, who cares! What's important is that Diego Maradona looks rounder than the soccer ball!

I am in shock.
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Originally posted by timechange
    jkeller, who cares! What's important is that Diego Maradona looks rounder than the soccer ball!
    Which is, of course, the real reason I suggested a different player in a different thread. Well, that and the fact that I wouldn't last ten seconds in a conversation about The Greats if I couldn't cheat with Google searches.

I am in shock.
    Now, there's a first! You, speechless? I guess that means I'm next...

P.S. This new version (since about two weeks) of vBulletin sucks. The wrapping algorithm works about as well at the HTML for the CPanel's bandwidth tables.

Ras
    Loyal Client
    Originally posted by jkeller
    [B]I'd recommend using left-aligned text. Center-aligning things makes it really tough to follow the flow. This is especially true for a single sentence that's juuust long enough to wrap around hand have only one or two words on the next line.
    Fixed in some parts. Some of them, I rather using centered.

I suggest making the navigation color something with a higher contrast to the black band; it's hard to see the blue. Also, highlight the currently selected section. It's a little thing, but does a lot to remind the visitor where they are.
    If I change the navigation colour any brighter, It'll make the site a bit too bright. I'll let people strain there eyes a bit :P Did the other suggestion though.

The "home" link should be the first one in the list. Logically, it's the topmost page -- or, in a flat structure like yours, the "leftmost" page in the sequence. I'd also consider grouping items, like contact and about, that are related. You don't always need a multi-level hierarchy, but the order would help people find a flow.
    Fixed

Finally, the forum needs to be better integrated. The visitor loses the navigation, and the only way "back" to the site (since it feels like a completely different site) is to click on a logo buried at the bottom of the page.
    Yup, completely agree. My goal is to get the design on the forums too, but, i've been catching my arse to fix the template. Eventually, it will merge.

Oh, in the menu on top, there is a "Return to the Homepage" link I added. Hmm I think I'll change the Logo at the abolute top to link back home.

Technical bug I noticed when browsing: the projects page needs to have a trailing "/" added to the links. Clicking on any link in the top navigation bar leads to www.rasadam.snikla.com (presumably, you've multihosted; trailing slashes are required in order for multihosted domains to stay "stuck").
    I was wondering about that! Dreamweaver tends to remove the end slashed when it auto-fixes links. Fixed em'.

Thanks a lot for your time, I really appreciate it.

P.S. On Maradona, anyone heard why he was late for the very charity match that picture was from? He had to stop for a snack!
    rastabeenz

Wow. I didn't expect that youi'd take so many comments to heart, so fast!

I definitely think that the navigation "flows" better. As for centered text, there are no absolutes. It's a personal site, after all, and you know what you like best!

Maybe for the navigation, you could use a gray instead of black background. Then you'd actually be able to darken the blue in the links, but the overall effect wouldn't be too light. Just a thought, but I don't know if it's a good one.

Found one more link hiccup: on the views page, the link to "Links" (ironically) has no trailing "/".

That Diego was late because he stopped for a snack was too funny. The guy definitely seems to be enjoying what his success has brought him, though. Just as long as he doesn't marry a Spice Girl...

Ras
    Loyal Client
    Oh no, I let that one slip by me, fixed.

I'll consider the menu suggestion. I'll leave it what it is now, and when I begin to really put stuff on the site, and write a script to manage the content, i can alter the layout.

Maradona was a god. One of the greatest footballers ever to play the sport. I real talent. But he really needs to lose weight!

Oh, David Beckham (Manchester United (Biggest club in England)/England national team player) married Posh Spice. And had one kid already, second is on the way.
    rastabeenz

Originally posted by Ras
    Oh, David Beckham (Manchester United (Biggest club in England)/England national team player) married Posh Spice. And had one kid already, second is on the way.
    Yeah, I knew about that one (but I hadn't known about the second kid). That's why I hope that Maradona's weight will be the last of his problems!