Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Transferring files from FTP site to another FTP site? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Can anyone tell me how to transfer files from one FTP site to another? I've tried using FlashFXP which is supposed to allow you to ...

Loyal Client

Transferring files from FTP site to another FTP site?

Can anyone tell me how to transfer files from one FTP site to another? I've tried using FlashFXP which is supposed to allow you to do this, but I keep getting 500 Illegal Port.

I thought about using SSH, but will it allow you to log into another computer while you're already logged into the first? I know that with Telnet you could do that if I'm not mistaken.

The reason I'd like to do this is b/c I want to move about 30megs worth of files and I'm on 56k. I figured it would be alot quicker to take advantage of the servers speedier connections than to bring all the files to my PC and then transfer them to another server.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Transferring files from FTP site to another FTP site?

Originally posted by dechast
    I thought about using SSH, but will it allow you to log into another computer while you're already logged into the first? I know that with Telnet you could do that if I'm not mistaken.
    SSh is essentially just a secure telnet connection. The shell you access is the same.

I totally understand about the 56K connection; I still have only 28.8 at home. You should be able to ftp elsewhere from the shell. I just don't know if Aletia has the ftp port blocked for outgoing. Best thing to do is try...

Indeed, you can transfer those files using simple UNIX commands, available on your shell.

Try to login via SSH to your server (Don't be afraid, it's like Telnet ) and use commands like 'ftp'.

Personally, I like 'wget' for doing such tasks, it's fast, powerful, and it does http!
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    I'd recommend tarring and gzipping the files, then ftping and gunzipping and untarring
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/