Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on new site in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
ok, i revamped my website... cheanged the backed around a bit, and the design. I would like it if you could check it out and ...

Loyal Client

new site

ok, i revamped my website... cheanged the backed around a bit, and the design.

I would like it if you could check it out and tell me what you think...

did everything work ok? Was it easy to find your way? What did you think overall?

There are very few pieces of artwork as of now, but that will change once everything is finalized..

thank you

the URL is http://www.urst.com

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    That's a big red fish!
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Pretty cool. I like how it's evolved from the one with the stove.

I like the dhtml scroll for the news, but it's not obvious what the controls are meant to do. I clicked out of curiosity, but arrows in the dark regions would help show much more clearly that you can scroll up or down.

It'd be inconsistent with the other titles, but you might consider making the "launch issue" clickable. It's a call to action, and so people's first reaction will be to click it rather than the comparatively passive "premiere".

And I second timechange's comment: that is one big, red fish! A reference to a red herring? (not the magazine, but the expression)

I kinda like your old one better. It worked better for me. This one is kinda weird. fish? ok...

and the news thingy messes up in terms of the rollover. look at the screenshot.

but the issues are still good
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Originally posted by clio
    and the news thingy messes up in terms of the rollover. look at the screenshot.
    That's what I thought at first, too. But it's the scroller indicator: try clicking and holding when the highlighted state appears.

(waits)

Ahhh!

That's why I recommend arrows.

hmmm.....really?

i just don't like the new page at all. it's SOOO not clear.
    you'd think "launch, issue suscribe, contact, and news" would all be buttons, but they're not! the fact that they're distinguished from the rest of the text on teh page makes it look so. also when you actually rollover the actual links, there's a darker bar that appears behind it and the links become more illegible.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Hey your comments are all great.

I have been trying so hard to make an interface that is both highly useable and nice to look at, but always finding that it is far from useable

I'm going to keep at it thou... even thinking about making the body in HTML, (but keeping th issues in flash).

Which brings me to the question... I know the main page needs work , especially as far as making links or buttons distinguishable and the such... but what do you think of the format and appearence of the issue? Is it easy to navigate, understand and look at?

do these questions drive you crazy?! :weyes:

Originally posted by urst
    ... but what do you think of the format and appearence of the issue? Is it easy to navigate, understand and look at?
    It looks as good as it did before. I'm glad that you're putting it in a pop-up window now, since that removes the ambiguity of "closing".

I wouldn't mind "previous" and "next" arrows/buttons/whatever so that I could keep the cursor in the same spot and still flip through the pages. You might also consider what you want the page indicators to look like; grey rectangles seem a bit too abstract. Maybe instead use the page symbol (folded, flipped-down top-right corner). Or, you could make the strip of squares look like an unrolled strip of negatives (a band above and below, with spindle holes).

The photos, as always, are great. And remember that everyone goes through the same difficulties that you're having. It's never easy to find an interface that's appealing in both the graphical and usability sense. Keep on plugging away -- even if you don't keep them in the final version, you'll definitely learn new techniques.