Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on New User's View in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
After spending saturday looking at different hosts (I think I bookmarked 10 out of the hundreds I looked at globally) I decided on aletia on ...

Loyal Client

New User's View

After spending saturday looking at different hosts (I think I bookmarked 10 out of the hundreds I looked at globally) I decided on aletia on saturday evening.

The sign-up process was simple to follow, and while I did not receive an email (other than the confirmation of payment email) the onscreen instructions where enough to get me going. A quick flit to my last hosts control panel and the two domains I was moving were repointed to aletia's.
    I went through the control panel, setting up email and ftp access with very little fuss, most things are logically laid out and can be done by people with very little experience..although the webmail for pop3 boxes other than the primary is a litte confusing.
    I then made my first mistake by not reading carefully enough the message on the multi-hosted domains..I put it down to having been up for a very long time .
    The next morning, less than 12 hours later my primary domain was up and running, email was working and i had a minor problem. Being used to these things taking days/weeks I had not yet rewritten my website from ASP to PHP, still, I can't really complain aboutr hyper-efficiency,although it did mean that I spent an enjoyable sunday turning VBC (Visual Basic C***) into a decent language
    I emailed support to get SSH access arranged, and had a reply within 5 minutes...sadly it was a reply asking me for information that was available in the original email. Emailing them back I got another reply shortly afterwards telling me that it had been set up.
    I need to email them again later, to sort out the multi-hosted domain, so we will see how that is handled.

All in all, I have been EXTREMELY pleased with the speed and accuracy of Aletia, and I am very pleased I choose them to host my accounts...even after reading the somewhat negative comments on this board.

I would recommend Aletia (and have several times so far today) to pretty much anyone.

Tim

Welcome aboard, Tim!

It's great to hear that you have had such a good experience so far. I hope that things continue to go at least as well in the future.

I saw your site, and congratulations. One, on getting it moved into php so fast. Two -- and more importantly -- on your marriage. Just don't spend too much of your newlywed time working on the site...

Loyal Client
    Thanks

The site is still under some dev..I'd missed of a close table so it didn't work in netscape 4.7, and hadn't finished the admin yet. I'm used to working with jpeg tools, sadly as the server doesn't have some of the key ones, so i had to rewrite some of the image handling with php functions :-/ and I need to drop a message board in there...after I've pulled the data out of the sql server that my old one was running.

According to mysql, which has been up for 5 days, it has only had 9400 connections..which is fantastic :-) I can see I won't have any issures there.

Enjoying it so far

Tim

I'm glad to hear that from other customers.. I had some problem when i first signed up here... but they were solved, and now I haven't had any problem with the hosting.

Welcome aboard!
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jeconais
    Thanks

The site is still under some dev..I'd missed of a close table so it didn't work in netscape 4.7, and hadn't finished the admin yet. I'm used to working with jpeg tools, sadly as the server doesn't have some of the key ones, so i had to rewrite some of the image handling with php functions :-/ and I need to drop a message board in there...after I've pulled the data out of the sql server that my old one was running.

According to mysql, which has been up for 5 days, it has only had 9400 connections..which is fantastic :-) I can see I won't have any issures there.

Enjoying it so far

Tim
    Ahhhhh..finally someone else that uses Netscape 4.7x
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Tim
    Loyal Client
    Originally posted by timechange
    Ahhhhh..finally someone else that uses Netscape 4.7x
    Hey, he didn't say that he uses NN4 (to browse.) My guess is that he checked his website in other browsers, like any website creator worth their salt would do.

jkeller, I'm curious how you knew the URL for Jeconais' website.

Originally posted by Tim
    jkeller, I'm curious how you knew the URL for Jeconais' website.
    Mwah, hah ha! I know all and see all!

...actually, I just clicked on the "www" button below his post because I was curious to see what things he'd needed to convert. You can add one to your own profile by going to "user cp" and filling in the appropriate information under "Edit Profile".

Tim
    Loyal Client
    Originally posted by jkeller
    I just clicked on the "www" button below his post
    Ah, I see now. I hadn't paid much attention to those buttons.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Tim

Hey, he didn't say that he uses NN4 (to browse.) My guess is that he checked his website in other browsers, like any website creator worth their salt would do.
    Yep :-) I work on linux 95% of the time anyway so most of what I develop is done in mozilla, if I'm feeling nice I'll check it out in MSIE, but normally you can be pretty certain that if it works in netscape and mozilla it will pretty much work in everything. I occasionally browse around in konqueror to...

As for the support, its fast and helpful....(and you can tell there is a but coming up can't you) they don't seem to be able to understand two part requests...each time I have asked for two things to be done at once only the top one gets done, the other gets ignored...still, simple solution, send each one at a time.

Apart from that, I'm very happy here, spent a very happy 4 hours last night knocking up a page counter and a guestbook over ssh. I know I could use the predefined scripts but I'm definitely a Do-It-Yourself type person.

Tim

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Jeconais
    Apart from that, I'm very happy here, spent a very happy 4 hours last night knocking up a page counter and a guestbook over ssh. I know I could use the predefined scripts but I'm definitely a Do-It-Yourself type person.Tim
    Nice to meet you, Tim.

Loyal Client
    Also a warm welcome aboard from me, tim

Hey, I just checked your site and I saw exactly that gallery script that I was seeking for such a long time ...do you mind telling me where u got it from?
    I was about to give up looking for something that works for me.
    Thanks in advance and keep on taking pics...just as me!

Loyal Client
    erm....
    well...
    I'm head of development for the London area of a large UK newspaper corp. I spend the part of my life where I am not delaing with office politics living on PHP and mysql, running websites getting millions of hits a week.
    So I kind of wrote the code myself last sunday.

I'm guessing that you want the full admin section as well...that allows you to upload pics, have the thumbnails created for you, resizes the main pic, allows you to create categories etc.

What I'll do, some time this week as I am really busy at the moment, is comment the code (I comment at work, but when I am writing for myself, and in a hurry I don't normally bother), remove the personalisations, do a mysqldump of the necessary database setup, knock up a quick install sheet and stick it somewhere you can download it.

That do?

Tim

Loyal Client
    That would be absolutely amazing. Thank you!

Finally I found the perfect script.

Loyal Client
    Reading this thread is better than drinking a glass of milk...
    (which you know... does a body good!)

Nice comradship you 2!!!

Loyal Client
    OK...sleepy now ;-)

As this is the first code I've released into the wild (so to speak) I wanted to get it right...
    I had no idea how much work it has been changing personal code into public code. The steps you have to go through..include changing everything you can think off into a variable...take a lot of time.

I've added some pages to the admin section, so that everything can now be edited.

I've put a lot more checking in place, for example to make sure it does not accidently enlarge an image.

I've now got a line of comments for every major line of code

The whole thing should now be really easy to set up...
    it should be a 3 part system...
    1, edit variables.php to set up the size of thumbnails and main pictures, the paths, the table names for the database etc etc
    2, visit yoursite.com/yourdirectory/includes/dbsetup.php (sests up the databases properly)
    3, include includes/menu.php somewhere

After that, you can just use the admin to create new categories and upload pictures.

I'm going to check it all out tomorrow, stick a GPL licence in it then post it.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast