Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Question about cgi flat file program in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I'm interested in getting the Essential hosting plan. I have a small website where about 5 people use newspro ( http://www.amphibianweb.com/newspro/ ) it's a cgi ...

Loyal Client

Question about cgi flat file program

I'm interested in getting the Essential hosting plan. I have a small website where about 5 people use newspro (http://www.amphibianweb.com/newspro/) it's a cgi flat file program where people can post news right to your front page. My question is can I run this with Aletia? I'm pretty new to all of this and have been reading over the forum for the last few days. I've noticed people saying that these types of CGI slow down the servers. Please let me know if can use this or if I should find another type of news posting script. I'd really like to get hosting here. Thanks in advance.

Altecs457

Yes you are allowed to use newsPro.
    It's the flat file forums that Aletia doesn't like to have here.

As for an alternative to newspro I like rose for a php/mysql based news system.

Good luck!
    Nomsane?
    That is all.

Newspro is ok i think... I used it for over a year.

The good thing about it, the CGI only runs when you build up your news.... Not everytime someone visit your page.

Anyway, with PHP/Mysql access here, you can search for another solution...
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

Newspro is fine, it only takes up resources when building pages as they said. but beware, i used to use it. i used it heavily for about a year until the whole thing crashed on me and i lost ALL my news data. though i did have backups, they weren't that recent. Anyhoo, the lesson is: there's only so much newspro can handle. again, i used it HEAVILY for about a year.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Uhmm. .Never had that problem... And i was hosted on a free web hosting ... lucky me
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

i wasn't on a free host tho. it was an entertainment site, so i got quite a few hits and i had news/spoilers almost daily posted by myself and staff, and one day i hit build and the stupid thing died on me.

that's when i decided that was enough and i was going to go for php/mysql b/c even if you use flock flat files still can be corrupted and destroyed.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer