Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on no hotmail with netscape? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I don't know if this has happened to anyone but for some reason i cannot send emails when i use netscape on my hotmail account. ...

Loyal Client

no hotmail with netscape?

I don't know if this has happened to anyone but for some reason i cannot send emails when i use netscape on my hotmail account.

I have my hotmail account since three years ago i think and only last year i started to use netscape with hotmail cuz i was having problems with my explorer but as i already mentioned i just cannot send emails with netscape.

Just wondering if someone has experienced the same problem.

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    What version of Netscape? Works fine here with 4.79
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Loyal Client
    I use version 6.2... i don't know perhaps it's only my pc.

Yuck I hate java browsers...

hell no, we won't go!
    With NS 6.2.1 I can (and do) check my hotmail spam account online with ease. No problems here.

(Running Win 98 SE as if that matters)
    - Colin

I like food.

Originally posted by timechange
    Yuck I hate java browsers...
    ???

NS 6 is no more a Java browser than NS 4.x. It's just a new codebase for the browser. Well, more than "just" because it correctly renders stylesheets and supports DHTML better...

Originally posted by jkeller

???

NS 6 is no more a Java browser than NS 4.x. It's just a new codebase for the browser. Well, more than "just" because it correctly renders stylesheets and supports DHTML better...
    It's written in java and quite "heavy". I use IE - despite the overall dislike for Msoft - and Opera.

Originally posted by timechange
    It's written in java and quite "heavy". I use IE - despite the overall dislike for Msoft - and Opera.
    Actually, it's C++ (take a look a tthe source tree at the Mozilla cross-reference). But you're right, it is heavy. They've taken the approach of abstracting to the nth degree, up to and including the interface (which uses XML). As a result, it feels much more sluggish than it has any rights to.

Netscape is actually better-optimized as far as rendering than its Mozilla equivalent. I have dhtml that works much more smoothly on NS 6.2 than on Mozilla 0.9.9. Not surprising, since Mozilla is mostly people doing a proof of concept (albeit a solid one), whereas AOL actually has to provide support for its product.

But, finally, I too am a user of IE. I don't like its quirks, but it is much faster. The downside is that it's much less maintainable for its programmers. Remember how lightweight IE 3.0 (the first "real" version) was? I'd love to have that back. But in the meantime, I prefer its rendering speed over some abstract concept of code "beatifulness".

My point being that Mozilla will benefit much more from the ever-increasing hardware performance curve than IE. Since it starts cleaner (and is maintained by people who love clean code), there will always be an advancing "clean" core that others can base new version of their own code on. IE code is both the product and the codebase, and so the codebase will naturally suffer from product time pressures.