Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on CSS Not Showing Up in NS4.7 in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I'm wondering if any of you know why NS4.7 is completely ignoring my CSS. I know it won't read all of it, but it's not ...

hell no, we won't go!

CSS Not Showing Up in NS4.7

I'm wondering if any of you know why NS4.7 is completely ignoring my CSS. I know it won't read all of it, but it's not reading the stuff it should. Anyone have any ideas? <http://sir.cakdesign.com/>

I'm not using fancy @import tricks or nothin...at least I think I'm not.
    - Colin

I like food.

css doesn't work in netscape 4.x as far as i know

i also know that some versions of netscape, don't work CSS if you include it in a style sheet separate from your HTML page, so in all my pages, i just have the CSS in the header, no link to a CSS file.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by clio

i also know that some versions of netscape, don't work CSS if you include it in a style sheet separate from your HTML page, so in all my pages, i just have the CSS in the header, no link to a CSS file.
    Interesting tid-bit to know! Thanks you 2...

hell no, we won't go!
    Originally posted by clio
    Yeah, but the thing is my version of NS recognizes CSS linked like in the SIR page on some of my other page (for example, <http://www.cakdesign.com/>)

Maybe if I try a hardlink?
    - Colin

I like food.

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    Netscape 4.x does support CSS but not the full implementation of it.
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Originally posted by timechange
    Netscape 4.x does support CSS but not the full implementation of it.
    Yes, indeedy. It's frustrating at times...

Dogma: I do have some styles that successfully work, even when only present in a separate css file. What I've been able to determine is that styles (font and positioning are the two that I've tested) aren't carried down through a nested div chain. Thus, if you want a font style for text nested in more than one div, you'll have to apply that style directly to the div that contains the text.

Not too clear, but then neither is what does and doesn't work in NS 4.x to begin with. Personally, I'm trying to remove all formatting for NS 4.x -- its uneven support messes me up because some of my elements work and some don't. So, you've already achieved the nirvana that I'm after!

Tim
    Loyal Client

Re: CSS Not Showing Up in NS4.7

Originally posted by Dogma
    I'm wondering if any of you know why NS4.7 is completely ignoring my CSS.

I'm not using fancy @import tricks or nothin...at least I think I'm not.
    NN4 doesn't recognize the id attribute. Change all instances of id to class, and change the hash/pound signs to periods, and all will be fine.

NN4 has decent support of CSS1. Not a whole lot, but enought to keep a page decent looking.

Wrong, you lose. NN4 does support external style sheets. A major benefit of using style sheets is that you can link all your pages to just one CSS file.

hell no, we won't go!

Re: Re: CSS Not Showing Up in NS4.7

Originally posted by Tim
    NN4 doesn't recognize the id attribute. Change all instances of id to class, and change the hash/pound signs to periods, and all will be fine.
    Thanks! I'll skip the usual "NS Sucks" and just going on my marry (out of the) way to make sure everyone can see the site.

I still don't understand why it won't show my p style though...
    - Colin

I like food.

Loyal Client

Re: Re: Re: CSS Not Showing Up in NS4.7

Thanks! I'll skip the usual "NS Sucks" and just going on my marry (out of the) way to make sure everyone can see the site.

Dogma... I was doing a bit of reading up on netscape and css,
    thought you and others may like to read this article

You all may of read this months ago, but if not... I feel it may offer a solution. With a sorta nice way of saying to the end user with outdated browsers....."Hey you... GET WITH IT ALREADY!"

Lot of things I am not sure of yet, but this browser thing... I know for certain, will be a thorn for a long time to come!

Even read an article at sitepoint of designing with no tables at all... using <div> and schtuff... go figure.
    Tables Rule!!!

Tim
    Loyal Client

Re: Re: Re: CSS Not Showing Up in NS4.7

Ah ha! I've got it figured out now. In addition to the aforementioned changes, remove that voice-family junk. That is what is causing NN4 to not render the rest of your style sheet. I think that hack is unnecessary, and have never encountered a need for it.

hell no, we won't go!

Re: Re: Re: Re: CSS Not Showing Up in NS4.7

Originally posted by Tim
    Ah ha! I've got it figured out now. In addition to the aforementioned changes, remove that voice-family junk. That is what is causing NN4 to not render the rest of your style sheet. I think that hack is unnecessary, and have never encountered a need for it.
    Is that it? It's in there because of NS/IE Box Model differences (NS does it right, IE does it wrong.) I'll see if I can't get around that though...

Thank you so much!!
    - Colin

I like food.