Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Puma was rebooted does anyone know why? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I noticed that Puma was restarted 1 hours 22 minutes ago, but there is no announcement in the Announcements forum. Does anyone know what's going ...

Loyal Client

Puma was rebooted does anyone know why?

I noticed that Puma was restarted 1 hours 22 minutes ago, but there is no announcement in the Announcements forum. Does anyone know what's going on?

Loyal Client
    Hopefully cause they fixed a few issues....it was lagging so bad I got transfered off it.

Loyal Client
    Over the last 3 days, Puma has been rebooted at least 4 times (I was using it to FTP when it was rebooted, and within 15 mins, it had been rebooted again). Something is really wrong with the server...

Loyal Client
    I have noticed that although the load times are lower now (Yes, numbers under 10 are low load times for Puma, considering where it was before) the pages take FOREVER to come up. It's almost as if there is a bandwidth problem somewhere now.

glo
    I have logged over 7 hours of downtime on puma since the 1st of the month. I'm also having email issues w/them right now AND my site is crawling slower than a snail. I'm hoping my clients haven't tried to contact me via email, I have a big development job coming up and it was to start soon. Just waiting for the email. Well... with email down, who knows when it'll come through.

Loyal Client
    You're not the only one experiencing these issues. I am having the exact same problem, HTTP requests are very slow. When a page is accessed, it takes much longer to get the data initially, although once the connection is made the transfer speed is quick.

It could be due to a number of things, I would take a look at the network card on the machine.

As I am typing this, the mail server on PUMA is down, bad as I am awaiting an important message.

-Shawn

Loyal Client
    I havent payed much attention to puma's stats in the past. Looking at the stats page, makes me wonder if it could not be more of an overcrowding issue, rather than a hardware problem.

/home is at 78%
    /usr is at 89%
    /backup is at 87%

Surely these factors do not help much, but if it is the root of the touble, I have no idea...

I do hope it subsides for you all!
    In the meantime would someone please elaborate on whether or not my assumption holds any water???

Thanks and Well Wishes

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by tekygonnabe
    /home is at 78%
    /usr is at 89%
    /backup is at 87%
    /usr and /backup can be ignored. Even /home can be ignored to a degree. What you want to do is "grep -c . /etc/passwd" to see how many users are on the system. There's usually about 20 users that are used by the system, and there may be few accounts that have been disabled. Runnig the above command on puma shows 292 "users" So there's roughly about 250 users on the system. But I don't think that's really a problem in all these anyway...

Loyal Client
    puma's problems will be gone soon because we will be getting rid of it:

http://aletiaforums.com/showthread.p...9088#post29088

Dana

Loyal Client
    It's good that puma's gonna be replaced, but will the pop server be fixed anytime soon???

Loyal Client
    cfactor, thanks for that... I havent gotten into SSH at this point, still (but will have to soon I see)
    Anyway... I am only trying to make sense of these things, and perhaps am a bit to vocal in doing so! I appreciate the help you guys offer!!!

Dana,

Sorry for the run of luck, with the hardware issues... this too shall pass hopefully soon.
    Keep up the nice work you all!

Hi all. I'm having the same Puma problems as most of you, but I'm not here to kvetch. Just ask a few questions that I'm not getting answered in other threads.

::1::
    I'm presuming most people posting in this forum have opened tickets regarding Puma's performance. I opened mine via the Control Panel's https://secure.aletia.com/support/ link some time this weekend, but I haven't even received the auto-mailer response. Is that still the link to use if you want some support?

::2::
    Someone at Aletia does know about our dissatisfaction with Puma, right? Are they taking requests to have us moved to a happier machine?

::3::
    At http://aletiaforums.com/showthread.p...5&pagenumber=2 someone asked whether we're using PCONNECT or CONNECT to get a connection from mysql. Which one should we be using? No one is answering my question.

Ooops. I was distracted and didn't see those posts sneak in there before I clicked the Submit Reply button.

But I am still curious about the PCONNECT vs. CONNECT question.

F.Y.I., on the recent reboots:

Kind of a moot point now, but the tech who responded to my ticket today said they had been working on Puma to try to kill some runaway scripts. Hence the reboots.

Also the pop server went down for a short while today, which I believe accounts for at least one of the reboots.
    The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.
    - Paul Valery