Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on GamingSurge.com Opens! in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
After being in development for months, I've finally opened GamingSurge.com . It is my first website and I've spent a great deal of time on ...

Loyal Client

GamingSurge.com Opens!

After being in development for months, I've finally opened GamingSurge.com. It is my first website and I've spent a great deal of time on it, and feedback would be appreciated.
    JustinHancock87

Loyal Client
    Good name, good theme (colour), love it!
    The only thing I would change is the forums. I would change to a red or Cosmic Dark (trading orange for red) theme there. It was just too much of a wake up call to go from main site to forums. Good job.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by SillyAlien
    Good name, good theme (colour), love it!
    The only thing I would change is the forums. I would change to a red or Cosmic Dark (trading orange for red) theme there. It was just too much of a wake up call to go from main site to forums. Good job.
    Yeah...I do not understand phpBB2's template system. I won't be using it long though, as I am going to switch to IBForums once it releases (next few weeks), then that is when I will spend a lot of time making the forums similar to the website so the change will be hardly noticable.
    JustinHancock87

Loyal Client
    IBForums will be a great piece of software and should be very friendly to customisation. Best of luck.

Loyal Client
    Good site and very useful also.
    But left menu should be amended.
    (Text brighter (When it is not highlighted) or menu background longer or vertical grey ribbon under left menu)

I hate sites that have such patterns as yours. Sorry. The reason is this: It appears that your graphic is a widthx2 graphic. Therefore, my browser is filling out the page line by line! how annoying! No, I am NOT using Netscape. Also, when I scroll down, it looks really bad. Such a pattern creates this awful blinking pattern.

But this is just my personal opinion. I think it isn't bad for a starter Justin.

What news script are you using? The news archive could use some work. It shows it post by post, which will be awful when your site becomes really popular and you start posting like crazy

I would also change your navigation. It is too faded out. Yes, I know it is a rollover, but still. Navigation should be 100% apparent, not 50%

Hey Sonic the Hedgehog, hehe. I love those guys. They classic
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by clio
    I hate sites that have such patterns as yours. Sorry. The reason is this: It appears that your graphic is a widthx2 graphic. Therefore, my browser is filling out the page line by line! how annoying! No, I am NOT using Netscape. Also, when I scroll down, it looks really bad. Such a pattern creates this awful blinking pattern.
    Could you explain this more? Like what causes it and how to prevent it. I haven't had anyone else have this problem.

What news script are you using?
    http://www.jinxm.co.uk/ - Rose News Script

I would also change your navigation. It is too faded out. Yes, I know it is a rollover, but still. Navigation should be 100% apparent, not 50%
    Yes....I know. Simply a beginner common sense mistake on my part. I have a lot of ideas for version 2.0 of my website. The main idea is going to make it less graphic intense, as right now, on the main page, there are over 50 separate images. Another concept I am going to drop is the scanlines. Also....I made the left navigation menu; the About Us, Contact Us..those links are bigger and more apparent than the News Category links...which are the main part of my site. Another mistake on my part.

Hey Sonic the Hedgehog, hehe. I love those guys. They classic
    Ahh yes...I remember the days when I sat two feet away from the family room TV, playing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis.

------------------------

I appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me. While I know the website has a lot of beginner mistakes that I simply didn't notice because of my lack of experience in web designing, I am pretty proud of myself of the way it turned out in the end, being my first website and all. Again, thanks for the feedback.
    JustinHancock87

It would be interesting to see how you pieced together your first page. 50 images? I cannot possible imagine 50 images being used. There are several tricks you will pick up regarding images, especially reusing them.

One remedy for the line tiling problem is to NOT have a graphic of height 2 but rather of height 20+. That way, it won't fill in line by line in the browser. It will fill in chunk by chunk, 20 pixels each time.

Go to your site. And click on the navbar, drag up and down quickly. Notice your site will flash SEVERAL times. It's just kinda annoying after a while, you know? It's generally okay if just a part of your site has that, because it isn't noticed as much. But in your case, much of your site has that pattern.

Goodluck with 2.0
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    One of the reasons I have so many images is because I used image maps, and I have plenty of plain images that I could simply fill up with one background image. Maybe I'll work on doing that today.
    JustinHancock87

It appears that your graphic is a widthx2 graphic. Therefore, my browser is filling out the page line by line! how annoying! No, I am NOT using Netscape.
    Originally posted by Justin Hancock
    Could you explain this more? Like what causes it and how to prevent it. I haven't had anyone else have this problem.
    IE 5.x (I don't know about 6.x) for Windows has a problem with small graphics that are repeated in the background of elements other than the page itself. E.g. table cells, divs, etc.

Use a 16x16 image or larger for tiled patterns and you shoudn't have any more problems. For simple patterns that would've been able to fit in a 1x2 image, there really isn't much difference in KB anyway. So it's not like it'll penalize modem users or others with slow connections if you increase the image dimensions. And IE users will be happy.

Also, when I scroll down, it looks really bad. Such a pattern creates this awful blinking pattern.
    This is a contrast problem. You can avoid this by making the line color and the fill color closer together. You can also increase the space between the lines -- 1 pixel line color, 2 pixels fill color, for example.