Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on php custom 404 page in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum

Loyal Client

php custom 404 page

I've made a custom 404 page with a 404.php file. It uses mail() to send me the follow info.

REMOTE_ADDR (IP)= just in case it 'might' help trace some friends ? ? ?

HTTP_REFERER = to see if someone has a dead link to one of my obsolete pages.

HTTP_USER_AGENT = just curious

SERVER_NAME = because I use the same 404.php page on 3 different domains / servers. This way my mail notice shows me which domain they hit and I don't have to keep 3 different versions of the .php file.

----------
    My problem is that I've tested all the getenv() variables and I can't get the .php file to send me the URL that the visitor was trying to find. Currently I have to go into the access_logs to find out what people were looking for. BTW: at least 4 or 5 a night are looking for cmd.exe

Is there someway to mail the URL they were looking for?

BTW: I've tried every getenv() variable in a temp.php file and the ones that 'sound' like they will work only display path info not the actual file / folder that was entered

TIA

John

Loyal Client

I can't read:

I found a way
    I kept playing with all the variables and finally figured out that I had a typo. I should have used

$requri = getenv ("REQUEST_URI");

I was reading it as request_URL (and it should have been an 'i' not an 'L' - so simple = stupid. But I was putting $requrl = getenv ("REQUEST_URL"); - which is wrong wrong wrong

Anyway the env. variable = request_uri .. works. It shows the subdirectories and then the file name. If you combine it with the server_name you get the full path they used.

So I just wasted space in here due to the fact I can't tell an 'i' from an 'l' :bawl:

John

Re: I can't read:

Originally posted by princeje
    So I just wasted space in here due to the fact I can't tell an 'i' from an 'l' :bawl:
    Not at all. Not only have you cleared it up for someone else who might be looking, you've also brought up a pretty cool idea: e-mail notification when a visitor gets a 404. Not everyone likes to look at their logs, so this is a pretty clever way to ensure that a site owner gets informed of bad requests.

P.S. it's "URI" because a "URL" is the address of a file, whereas the "uniform resource indicator" includes parameters and encompasses non-location concepts (such as an e-mail address). Hence the generic (and seemingly odd) name for the environment variable.

Loyal Client

Footnote about URI

Today the URI variable in my 404 page showed that someone looked to see if I had formail.pl or formail.cgi in my cgi-bin directory. Since I don't, they got my error page and I got the info shown below:
    =======
    URI = /cgi-local/[email protected]&sub ject=www.ibdprince.com/cgi-local/formmail.pl&[email protected] &= www.ibdprince.com/cgi-local/formmail

/cgi-bin/[email protected]&sub ject= www.ibdprince.com/cgi-bin/formmail.pl& [email protected]&=www.ibdprince.com/cgi-bin/formmail.

Loyal Client

Would you be willing to post the script?

As jkeller said, this is a clever idea. Do you have a desire to post the script? I think a number of folks would find it useful, if not essential. I know I would!

Thanks!

Loyal Client

php example I used

I started with a HTML page (404.html) just to get the look n feel I wanted. Then I renamed it to 404.php and added a php section in the body (see generic example below). Of course, I had to change .htaccess to point to the 404.php.

----------------------
    <?php

$ip = getenv ("REMOTE_ADDR");

$requri = getenv ("REQUEST_URI");
    $servname = getenv ("SERVER_NAME");
    $combine = $ip . " hit the " . $servname . " 404 error page with path = " . $requri ;

$httpref = getenv ("HTTP_REFERER");
    $httpagent = getenv ("HTTP_USER_AGENT");

$message = " $combine \n
    HTTP_REFERER = $httpref \n
    HTTP_USER_AGENT = $httpagent
    ";

$to = "[email protected]";
    $subject = "My 404 Notification";
    $from = "[email protected]";

mail($to, $subject, $message,"From: $from\nX-Mailer: PHP/" .phpversion());
    ?>

--------

Hope this helps
    (BTW: I'm new to php so I had to use some extra variables ($combine, etc) so my simple mind could follow what was happening when I created my $message :weyes:

John

Loyal Client

Thank you very much!

Thanks from me! The visitors from my site will thank you also!