Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Backup mail server question in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I have my own mail server and i'd like to set it as primary and set the aletia mail server as secondary. I know how ...

Loyal Client

Backup mail server question

I have my own mail server and i'd like to set it as primary and set the aletia mail server as secondary.

I know how to set up dns but:

How can i set up aletia mail server to act as a secondary, and delivering me the emails it receives, using SMTP every xx hours?

I know i could check the catch-all mailbox using POP but it could be better to use SMTP and let aletia send emails if there is some.

Any idea, or better solution?

Bye, Alex
    Visit VirtualPostcard at http://www.spinelli-group.com/vcard

Loyal Client

Anyone replying?!...

Anyone has any idea?!

Have you opened a ticket asking aletia?
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

Loyal Client

No..

I want to ask to other users before, it seems strange that nobody do that..

Anyway if i don't receive a reply in a few days i'll write to support.

Bye, Alex

Loyal Client
    I have limited knowledge of mailing setups but what I gather is this:

If you set you or a machine you own etc to the Primary mail server of a domain, any mail sent to that domain will try to connet to your server to deliver mail (via SMTP). If this connection attempt is unsuccessful for any reason, it may retry (client dependant) or move on to the secondary server.

In this situation, aletia's mail server would only recieve emails if your server had some downtime or similar problems.

In this case, i would write a script on the server to loop the emails, that is, send them to [email protected] where email is the address, domain is your domain.

If the server has continuous downtime however, these emails will simply continue to loop in a pattern not dis-similar to this:
    Aletias server>DNS lookup>attempt on your server (fail)>attempt on aletia's server (success)>Delivered back to aletia

I'm not entirely sure of the locations of the incoming mail but i'm fairly sure with a little file parsing you can set that system up easily.

If i'm wrong however, someone please correct me
    bobs2040

Loyal Client

thanks for your help!

I wrote to support and they told me they can set up things manually for me!!

They will add 2 MX records to their dns server (for my primary mail server and their secondary) and set their mail server as secondary gateway for my domain name.

Incredible support!!!!!

Bye, Alex

Loyal Client

Re: thanks for your help!

Originally posted by alexs
    I wrote to support and they told me they can set up things manually for me!!

They will add 2 MX records to their dns server (for my primary mail server and their secondary) and set their mail server as secondary gateway for my domain name.

Incredible support!!!!!

Bye, Alex
    I've noticed Aletia support getting better of late

Aletia is beginning to pick up again imho, the real test will be soon, i'm developing a software package for Security companies to use, and i'll be licensing it out. It shaln't be open source for the time being as it's bespoke, i've been asked to do it, therefore I wish to be paid for it

I'd like to point out if I randomly do a telnet server or whatever I will open source it, I only charge mainly for bespoke systems, or for something that's taken up a lot of my time

</defending my credibility>:d
    bobs2040

Loyal Client

Your security software

What kind of software do you develop?
    Have you a website about it?
    What programming language?

Bye, Alex

Loyal Client
    I develop any kind of software really, i'm more of a behind the scenes programmer, i've recently been working on web stuff

I will include it when I get round to finishing and uploading www.randompc.com

I use VB, C / C++ occasionally, and mainly at the moment, Perl
    bobs2040