Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Using services to check/report downtime in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi all, due to the recent issues with Kiwi (I'm on that one) I figured it might be a nice idea to use a service ...

Programmer... And more... megmond's Avatar

Using services to check/report downtime

Hi all,

due to the recent issues with Kiwi (I'm on that one) I figured it might be a nice idea to use a service that periodically checks whether it can still connect to your website.

Now I know it's not a guarantee that the server is down since the break could be elsewhere (or just in the web-server, or that the server is just slow), but I guess it can prove interesting if multiple people around the world can confirm each others results (post all times in GMT timezone?).

Perhaps we can even figure out when downtime is most likely to occur so the tech support can be live and kicking to check it at the right time...

I am currently using a trial subscription at Knigtguard.net (are there any other good ones?) and so far it's reported two cases of 4+ hours it could not connect:

25th of July: 2:24 am GMT - 6:23 am GMT
    26th of July: 7:58 am GMT - 11:23 am GMT

Any ideas/comments?

Loyal Client
    I have internetseer.com watching a couple of my sites, it checks once per hour. They pull a stupid stunt when you first sign up trying to get you to buy a product, but after that it seems ok. free is nice as well

Loyal Client
    I use Easy Monitor. It's free, and they ping your site every 15 minutes. No affect on counters or bandwith (that I can see).