Web Hosting Forums

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Aletia forums, archived or not? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Please make suggestions based on your vote as to what should be done with the forums for now. ...

Aletia forums, archived or not?

Please make suggestions based on your vote as to what should be done with the forums for now.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Obviously, I would vote yes, the Forums should be archived. :cheers:

The JaguarPC Forums would benefit from the addition of a few more categories, as it is pretty flat right now. I promise I won't bicker on what those categories should be, but I'm sure we will find a way to stir up some controversy. We Aletians are odd folk.

Loyal Client
    Not that I don't appreciate you getting these forums back up Jag, but it makes more sense to me if there was only one support forum. Keeping one forum updated with announcements and having one place to check instead of two would seem easier.

Archiving these forums would still allow folks to find some of the answers to often asked questions (if they were still relevent).

I voted "yes" as well, though I'll miss my post count.

Wait Jag, shouldn't this poll be put in the context of separate (at least in flavor) vs. merged forums? And then whether read only access to the Aletia threads would be sufficient?

I was thinking of options more along these lines:

Separate looking Aletia and Jaguar forums (like now)
    Single merged Jaguar and Aletia forum
    Jaguar forum with read only Aletia archive
    Jaguar forum without Aletia archive (dump all old Aletia posts)

You might also mention whether any of these options would pose special difficulties. For example, a single merged forum might be tougher and take longer to implement. Separate forums are undoubtedly harder to watch over, for both the users and Jaguar support.

Didn't mean to mess up the poll. I just thought the options need some clarification.
    The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.
    - Paul Valery

You're right that Jag didn't explicitly detail this solution, but he has said that the ultimate goal was to merge the Forums. (Now that they've lost track of the guy doing the merging, however, this no longer sounds quite as certain as it once did.)

I assumed Jag meant they would archive the Aletia Forums until they completed the merge. Our voting on the technical details of how they implement the merge may not be realistic: what if we vote for something they can't (or don't want to) achieve? Then Jag would have a full scale riot on his hands.

Well.... Yeah, all the users should be redirected to the Jaguar forums for now, but I'd love to see both forums merged
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

That is also pretty my own read on the whole matter, flipdoubt. But the poll is not clear as to what a NO vote actually means.

Does it mean that it would be OK to dump Aletia forum entirely, or that one wants to keep it open for reading AND posting?

Jag hasn't specifically said the merging project is dead. But he be may keeping that option open, and this poll should provide some direction on what users find most important.
    - Paul Valery

A merge of posts and forums is still in the cards and will happen, just not like we had planned. I wanted it done by now and that obviously hasnt happened and wont for a little bit longer. Question is what do we do in the meantime.
    Greg Landis | Founder

Need a Manager?

OK, but I'm still not clear on the NO vote option.

Does it mean:

A.) The Aletia forum will remain open for reading and posting, operating as it does now?

B.) This Aletia forum will be taken offline and not be archived.

C.) Something else.

I'm guessing it means A, but I'd prefer not to guess.

My vote is with the YES, to redirect and archive, but it still would be good to understand the other option.
    - Paul Valery

Histerical, absolute
    Well i voted no.. Keep this one open change the look of it and dump the other jag forum.. this one already has users.. why make them move? there are a lot more of us.. then there are on the jaguarpc forum!
    All opinions are the result of being uninformed, unintelligent and uninterested!

One would be easier. No point in having two as it's just more confusing.
    Last week when gold went under attack, I came here looking for updates but everything was posted in the jag forum. Why have these forums up if you're not going to use them.
    Nomsane?
    That is all.

I had a feeling that suggestion would pop up eventually, Zac.

Don't forget, Jaguar rescued Aletia clients, not the other way around. I don't think the suggestion would play well with the original Jaguarians, our new neighbors. Besides, the Aletia forums carry an awful lot of old baggage that has nothing to do with the current management.
    - Paul Valery

merge!
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Originally posted by clio
    merge!
    Im for that, and as mentioned when we have a script that can do it ....that is do it right and without screwing up either board then we will do that. Im just asking until that day comes what do you guys want to do.

Just leave them both up and continue as things are right now ? In that case vote no on the closing and redirect.

Or close these boards, maybe open a few new categories at jag and work from that board until we can safely merge the data of the two separate forums. In that case, vote yes.

With 1/4th voting no already, Im very hesistant to act on that. We will need much more overwhelming votes one way or the other before we determine the outcome.
    Greg Landis | Founder

Need a Manager?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast