Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Uptime Policy in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Generally speaking, would you say the 99.7% uptime policy is met/upheld or simply not? Is it completely different uptimes for different servers? What average uptime ...

Loyal Client

Uptime Policy

Generally speaking, would you say the 99.7% uptime policy is met/upheld or simply not? Is it completely different uptimes for different servers? What average uptime would you put on the performance? Last thing, whatever happened to that stats screen at server.nocdirect.com, now I only see the standard Apache page? Thanks.

-Will

Learning every day...

Unhappy No way...

My personal experince is No! My email is not functioning again but my web abilities are functioning. I was an Aletia transfer and had problems there towards the end as well. Now Jaguar has moved us from the server from hell to Silver but it still goes down periodically (a little too periodically!).

jodiecon, your on shared server where hundreds of otehre create problems for other users from time to time...like now. As far as hardware and network wise, which applies to our dedicated and colo clients we have had nothing short of 100% network uptime from our routers, providers, and so on. Its only those on shared servers that can and do experience these issues since other users create the problems.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Originally posted by Jag
    jodiecon, your on shared server where hundreds of otehre create problems for other users from time to time...like now. As far as hardware and network wise, which applies to our dedicated and colo clients we have had nothing short of 100% network uptime from our routers, providers, and so on. Its only those on shared servers that can and do experience these issues since other users create the problems.
    I just signed up, and I must admit I find this comment a little disconcerting to read coming out of the chute. I mean, I wanted a little more freedom than I had on my old Win/ASP host, but maybe the reins should be a little tighter. If my sites nosedive because of someone else's misbehavior, that will kind of stink.

Then again, it's not like my sites generate a lot of traffic.
    I'll survive. It could be my own rad script that tanks the server.

EDIT: Just noticed what forum this one. I suppose shared server remarks don't make much sense here, eh?
    Last edited by Weevil; 04-14-2003 at 05:44 PM.

Originally posted by Weevil
    I just signed up, and I must admit I find this comment a little disconcerting... If my sites nosedive because of someone else's misbehavior, that will kind of stink...
    Welcome to the real world, Weevil. I've been here a little over 4 weeks, so don't make the mistake of thinking I'm some old school JagPC user, sticking up for my homies!

This place is no different than the place you left. I know this because you sound like another one of these web MASTERS that want something for nothing, but it ain't never gonna happen, bro. I don't care how many places you spend your $7.95 or $9.95 --- whatever --- your chump change...

Look, think of it this way --- if you could get all these features, plus 99.7% uptime and 24/7 voice support for 8 bones a month, why the hell would anyone pay $100+/mo. for the same thing. Get my drift...

You bros are livin' in a dream world if you think you can have your cake and eat it too. You're playin' in the sandbox with the kiddies at these prices. You're trying to do laps in the wading pool...

Put another way, you get what you pay for. If you want dependability, have them set you up with a dedicated server or colo. Then you got a right to bitch them out when your site is down. Its the boys in the 'hood that are the enemy, not JagPC. They are the ones 'giving' you a web presence for pennies on the wholesale dollar. Hell, that's like 1-cent/hr when you think about it. What the hell you expect?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Originally posted by Vin DSL
    [B]Welcome to the real world, Weevil. I've been here a little over 4 weeks, so don't make the mistake of thinking I'm some old school JagPC user, sticking up for my homies!
    You've already posted more than most of them, too.
    This place is no different than the place you left. I know this because you sound like another one of these web MASTERS that want something for nothing, but it ain't never gonna happen, bro. I don't care how many places you spend your $7.95 or $9.95 --- whatever --- your chump change...
    Well, it is different... I've been paying quite a bit more for my old host for years, and they've given me excellent service. I just wanted a Linux host where I could do scripting with Ruby and Perl and use MySQL instead of Access. It wasn't a purely financial decision.
    You bros are livin' in a dream world if you think you can have your cake and eat it too. You're playin' in the sandbox with the kiddies at these prices. You're trying to do laps in the wading pool...
    If they promise up time they should deliver it. If uptime costs more than that, they should charge more than that.

But hey, I joked my post off at the end, so maybe you should take the red pill and taste a little reality. You take this stuff way too seriously. My toy sites will not be driving server crushing traffic anytime soon, and if they ever do I'll upgrade. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you pay for what you need. Relax, man.

Loyal Client
    I was with Palm when Jag took them over. I would say I had better luck with palm but probably because of less users sharing a host.

Jag is good for the price!

While my shared server hasn't had more than probably 2 days without a reboot or downtime of some kind, Http, Ftp, Mail, etc. They are quick to fix the problem. For the last 4 days every day around this time fopen stops working on my server and I have to send an email for them to restart http service.

I am also concerned about the comment about other users causing problems, not being Jags problem. Clients need to be monitored and if they are running programs that are freezing the server or taking up too many resources that is unfair to other clients and not good business practice.

A shared host is just that shared. Not a bunch of people and 5 using all the resources. I would think it would be against your policy for users to use server resources in this manner.

Originally posted by Weevil
    ...If they promise up time they should deliver it...
    Many ppl would think 99% uptime is a good thing. That's why 'they' make these promises; it sounds good. Little do these ppl know that 99% uptime means that their site could be down 87 hours and 36 minutes a year. They don't stop and take the time to figure this out before signing the 'dotted line.' To them, ANY downtime is unacceptable and they think they're getting screwed every time the server hiccups.
    • Uptime - Down Time
      90% = 52,560 Minutes
      95% = 26,280 Minutes
      99% = 5,256 Minutes
    Anyone care to tell us what 99.7% equates to?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Originally posted by jlee
    ...I am also concerned about the comment about other users causing problems, not being Jags problem. Clients need to be monitored and if they are running programs that are freezing the server or taking up too many resources that is unfair to other clients and not good business practice...
    The problem with JagPC is they give shared users too much freedom and power. The 'catch-22' is --- that's the reason these ppl came here in the first place. So, you see, the situation is hopeless on shared servers. This is the way it's ALWAYS going to be unless JagPC decides to de-ball the users on shared servers, which isn't going to happen because --- that's why everyone came here (catch-23?).

If you want dependability, Colo'ed and dedicated servers are the way to go, which (ahem) JagPC can provide for mo' money. The idea is to play around on shared servers, but move to colo and dedicated when you get serious. These guys can provide anything you want, at very competitive prices. You just have to decide what you want. Unfortunately, most ppl want something for nothing, and that ain't gonna happen here or anywhere else for that matter. That's 'blue sky' thinking...

Kapeesh?