Web Hosting Forums

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Merged: Shell access/ Jailed in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
go ahead and update your ticket, theyve been instructed to reactivate shell for users as requested now. ...

go ahead and update your ticket, theyve been instructed to reactivate shell for users as requested now.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at QA@jaguarpc.com.

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Loyal Client
    Am I the only one who was asked for photo id as a condition of reactivating shell access?

I was too, but I just got back shell anyway, so I'm all set.
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    My Site: StarCraft Sector | My vB Forums: Forum Sector
    E-Mail: celeronxl@cox.net | AIM: CeleronXL | ICQ: 118648739 | MSNM: celeronxl@hotmail.com | YIM: celeronxl

Originally posted by Otis
    Am I the only one who was asked for photo id as a condition of reactivating shell access?
    Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work. I think the credit card data on file is a far better guarantee.

Those ID's would be scans / photocopies anyway: very easy to fake. JAG would have a large amount of work to verify that they even look like valid ID's: so many different ones in use world wide. JAG would have to actually use the snail mail data provided (i.e. sent a letter and expect you to answer) to get some clue about it's validity, with a credit card the CC company has verified the address.

Or would you like JAG to buy into all (or at least many) ID verification systems world wide? Would cost a fortune, if they'd even let JAG: usually those are reserved for goverment agencies, banks and the like.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Gwaihir

Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work. I think the credit card data on file is a far better guarantee. ...

Or would you like JAG to buy into all (or at least many) ID verification systems world wide?
    It wasn't my idea. It was a requirement imposed on me in jaguarpc's response to my ticket requesting that shell access be restored.

There is no mention of such a requirement in Jag's message that shell access was being restored. That's why I asked the question.

I once had a domain name that had improper contact details registered with NetSol (back when they were the only registrar). In order to get them to change the details, I had to fax them a copy of my license and a recent phone bill. The license verified that I was who I said I was, the phone bill verified that I can get mail at the address I said I was at. Granted, it is easy to fake something like that, and with the thousands of agencys issuing licenses worldwide and even more phone companies (mine, for example, serves my county and a few towns in the surrounding counties only), it is impossible for them to verify the legitimacy of everything, but for the most part it does give a pretty good account of who you say you are. Add that to the address verification from the credit card company, and you have three points of identification. Many times all three will be identical (my name and address on my credit cards, license, and phone bill are all the same), other times two overlaps will occur (name on license and cc of the same individual, address of company on phone bill and credit card).

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work. I think the credit card data on file is a far better guarantee.

Those ID's would be scans / photocopies anyway: very easy to fake. JAG would have a large amount of work to verify that they even look like valid ID's: so many different ones in use world wide. JAG would have to actually use the snail mail data provided (i.e. sent a letter and expect you to answer) to get some clue about it's validity, with a credit card the CC company has verified the address.

Or would you like JAG to buy into all (or at least many) ID verification systems world wide? Would cost a fortune, if they'd even let JAG: usually those are reserved for goverment agencies, banks and the like.
    The credit cards on file, however, could just have been stolen information. It would be better by far to have to match some other form of ID to the cc.
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    E-Mail: celeronxl@cox.net | AIM: CeleronXL | ICQ: 118648739 | MSNM: celeronxl@hotmail.com | YIM: celeronxl

I doubt that many stolen CC's are used to purchase hosting: the rightfull owner of the card would complain against withdrawal and the account terminated. End of story.

Now, I'm not against this extra verification. I just think that those out here who think that would stop any "serious wrongdoings" are luring themselves into a false sense of security.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

I doubt that many stolen CC's are used to purchase hosting: the rightfull owner of the card would complain against withdrawal and the account terminated. End of story.

Now, I'm not against this extra verification. I just think that those out here who think that would stop any "serious wrongdoings" are luring themselves into a false sense of security.
    Not really... Quite a few will use them for just a short while to wreak havoc on hosting accounts, and then be gone. After that, doesn't matter if the acct is terminated. Damage has already been done.

Rogue Developer
    Originally posted by Jag
    go ahead and update your ticket, theyve been instructed to reactivate shell for users as requested now.
    Excellent -- thanks, I've got it back now.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Julian Muņoz
    Umm.... disabled mysql commands? I'm going to have a hard time trying to backup my forums database, with over 100MB of data Let me check with my server.
    I'm curious. This has nothing to do with this debate. I use shell access for other minor things. But what is the difference between backing up a MySQL file via shell and via the control panel "backup" function. That is how I always did my backups. Is there a difference?

The backup tool in the control panel is for backing up your home directory (all the files on your accont). But it won't backup your mysql databases.

You can get a dump of your database using phpmyadmin, sure... But think about a database with more than 50MB of data... .It's better to use the mysqldump command. Besides, I can make my own backup script and use a cronjob to run it automatically every 24 hours and backup my entire database and upload it to somewhere else.... That wouldn't be possible without the mysqldump command.
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

AFAIK, phpMyAdmin craps out on large backup/restores.

THE best way to backup large DB's is via shell.

Originally posted by Defender
    AFAIK, phpMyAdmin craps out on large backup/restores.

THE best way to backup large DB's is via shell.
    Yeah, after only like 5MB it'll crap out.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Julian Muņoz
    The backup tool in the control panel is for backing up your home directory (all the files on your accont). But it won't backup your mysql databases.
    When I go to the control panel backup, it lists my "home" directory for backup PLUS all my MySQL databases for backup as well. My databases aren't 100MB, but one is about 13MB's and it has always worked perfectly for me.

I'm just wondering whether you're not familiar with this feature, that's all. Or maybe it doesn't show on your panel? I have noticed that the panels are slightly different from server to server (oddly enough).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast