Web Hosting Forums

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

This is a discussion on Merged: Shell access/ Jailed in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
So I get an email saying that I've run out of space. I SSH in, and run some 'du' commands and have the man pages ...

Loyal Client
    So I get an email saying that I've run out of space. I SSH in, and run some 'du' commands and have the man pages open to find where these large files are that appeared overnight. I did it a couple times with different switches to get a nice, readable list of all files in my directory and their sizes. I was about to pop open the man pages for du again, and I get "/usr/bin/man Command not found". WTH. So I try my new du switches, and I get "/usr/bin/du Command not found."

Real nice guys. Apparently someone's having a good ol' time server side running top and farking with users at will. There's only one thing that brought me to this host, and it's shell access. But if you're going to limit us to 3 or 4 commands, to where we can't even change our damn passwords, then perhaps you guys should take it off your hosting products page. If I were just joining your host, I'd be pretty POed finding shell access to be completely useless.

Originally posted by brianb
    So I get an email saying that I've run out of space. I SSH in, and run some 'du' commands and have the man pages open to find where these large files are that appeared overnight. I did it a couple times with different switches to get a nice, readable list of all files in my directory and their sizes. I was about to pop open the man pages for du again, and I get "/usr/bin/man Command not found". WTH. So I try my new du switches, and I get "/usr/bin/du Command not found."

Real nice guys. Apparently someone's having a good ol' time server side running top and farking with users at will. There's only one thing that brought me to this host, and it's shell access. But if you're going to limit us to 3 or 4 commands, to where we can't even change our damn passwords, then perhaps you guys should take it off your hosting products page. If I were just joining your host, I'd be pretty POed finding shell access to be completely useless.
    man and du works in jailshell. Which server you are on and what's your username? please open a support ticket.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Loyal Client
    I just tried it and du and man are working again. I'm on Copper.

What may have not been clear in the earlier post is that I was using du and man without problems. Then all of the sudden, they were disabled. /usr/bin was empty. It was very aggrivating (note the tone of the post), but glad it was temporary.

Is SFTP going to be reenabled? I haven't seen any announcements about that.

Internet Marketing Fiend tigertom's Avatar

HTTP::Request::Common qw(POST);

I've already had a temporarily satisfactory reply to a ticket I
    opened about the following problem, BUT, I wonder if a staff
    member could give a rough estimate of when it'll likely be fixed?

I'm not keen to jump ship (JagPC is *great* value for money), but
    I can see myself needing to make some kind of additional,
    alternative arrangements on another server, as I need these
    modules to work.

I post it here so other users can take comfort from shared
    misery

=========== Abstract of ticket =============

I don't have much problems with the jailshell except:

A Perl script I Have script works OK from the command line until it
    tries to POST to a script on another server, using

HTTP::Request::Common qw(POST);
    LWP::UserAgent;

It then thows up the error:

"500 server error, can't connect to host.blahblah.com:80 Bad
    protocol tcp"

It's being run from the command line.

I looked up this error, and found this:

If you read the IO::Socket::INET source you will see that this
    means that the getprotobyname('tcp') call fails. You can test it
    directly with a perl one-liner like this:

$ perl -le '$, = " "; print getprotobyname("tcp")'
    tcp TCP 6

i.e. it appears that tcp may not be properly installed, or probably
    an effect of the new jailshell.

============= end abstract ===============

Loyal Client

Re: HTTP::Request::Common qw(POST);

Originally posted by tigertom
    I looked up this error, and found this:

If you read the IO::Socket::INET source you will see that this
    means that the getprotobyname('tcp') call fails. You can test it
    directly with a perl one-liner like this:

$ perl -le '$, = " "; print getprotobyname("tcp")'
    tcp TCP 6

i.e. it appears that tcp may not be properly installed, or probably
    an effect of the new jailshell.

============= end abstract ===============
    The problem is that /etc/protocols doesn't exist inside your jail, and it needs to. I checked and it's not inside mine.

You can tell them this; I don't know how long it will take to fix, I passed on a possible fix to the lack of starting in a home directory and sourcing .profile some time ago and it hasn;'t yet been integrated.

Internet Marketing Fiend tigertom's Avatar
    Ok, thank you for replying.

Wouldn't it be an idea to let customers of long-standing
    more leeway than new ones?

Or perhaps JagPC is feverishly working on a solution that
    all can use in safety.

IDB
    Code Guru
    I just tried to run some mysql commands today and late to the party I find that mysql no longer works, and we have a jail shell.

Is this going to stay like this? I've been a customer here for a couple of years and to suddenly find useful and important features have been withdrawn is not good.

Check my records and please see that I am not the one causing the problems, and enable my access again. Same goes for everyone here who has been a long standing customer. Go search out the culprit from those who had access enabled in the period prior to the problems coming to the surface.

Kat
    Loyal Client
    14 years later from this original post and apparently it is still that way. Was SHOCKED to discover that after all the years I have been here, after hearing that I need to copy my own database using SSH, I have "jailed access" and am not allowed to do that. I have a HUGE database with no other way to make a copy/backup of it.

I have been with Jaguarpc since the beginning, back when it was Aletia. I have referred many people here. I might have to split off a few of my domains in the near future, and I sure am going to be looking around for a new home for those subdomains.

By the way, it took 17 back and forth ticket replies to finally find out that I don't have the access I need, even though I sent screen shots a little over mid way through, so clearly they saw what I was trying to do.

It's way too much risk to run un-jailed SSH on the shared/reseller environments. If you require un-tethered access you can go for a small VPS/cloud and have full root.
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer

Kat
    Loyal Client
    I am on an SDX. I dont need reseller. So does this mean you guys will now copy my database for me? Last time I asked I got chewed out about not using SSH.

I do not require "untethered" anything, I just want a way to make a copy of my huge database.

The techs should be able to help you with anything you need which requires privileges you don't have (and doesn't pose any risk to your neighbors) and you should never be chewed out regardless. If you feel a tech is out of line please let me know.
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer

Kat
    Loyal Client
    The chew out was a few years back, Zachary handled that. I miss him. He used to take care of all of these problems for me.

I am glad to hear that they can make the new copy for me. i have requested that via my ticket.

I sure wish we still had the quality of tech support we used to have. It never used to take 18 replies in order to figure out what I needed. And I am often given bad info. Like the info I was given to login to SSH in the first place. It was wrong and I had to figure it out myself. Then the screen shots where they clearly saw that I was trying to do run a mysqldump. That should have been a giveaway as to what I was trying to do. But still the replies went back and forth.

And on another ticket I was told I had a "bad" redirect in my htaccess file. There was NOTHING wrong with my redirect and after hours of scouring google, I finally came up with the fix myself.

It is just frustrating to spend 3 days and so many replies to finally be told you can't do what you are trying to do. And the only reason I even was trying to do it myself was because of bad past experiences. That is several hours of my life I cannot get back.

Les, you and Greg have always been good at this. So I am not slamming you guys. But I do think your tech support needs some work.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6