Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on JailShell and MySQL questions... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Two questions for anyone who's feeling brave, and would like to answer them: First, even though my account is set up to use tcsh as ...

Loyal Client

Question JailShell and MySQL questions...

Two questions for anyone who's feeling brave, and would like to answer them:

First, even though my account is set up to use tcsh as my default shell, my SSH login always drops me into the root direction, still in the jail shell. Is there any way to force the jail shell to exec a tcsh session?

Second, are there any plans to upgrade our servers to MySQL 4.0.13 from the existing 3.23.56?

Thanks!

Actually, your account is set up with jailshell as your shell now. They changed whatever individual shell you were using to jailshell. If you were to look in the passwd file, you'd see that your login shell is now listed as /usr/local/cpanel/bin/jailshell.

Unfortunately, jailshell is seriously limiting and doesn't run any login scripts when you start up, nor does it move you into your login directory. So the only way to change to tcsh would be to run a client side script if your SSH client supports it.

As for MySQL, they upgraded on version 4 a while back and then had some stability problems so they downgraded back to 3. I'd imagine they are or are going to do some stability testing and, if that goes well, upgrade the servers again.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Ron
    Originally posted by jason
    As for MySQL, they upgraded on version 4 a while back and then had some stability problems so they downgraded back to 3. I'd imagine they are or are going to do some stability testing and, if that goes well, upgrade the servers again.

--Jason
    Where do you get the information that "they are or are going to do" anything like you suggest? Have they stated anywhere that they plan to do this, or are you assuming this is their modus operandi? Just curious.

I remember well their decision to rollback the MySQL upgrade. Some obstreperous customer kept insisting that the upgrade was disabling his/her site, and screamed so much about it that they decided to rollback. Later this client determined that his/her probalem was an external feed where the other, remote server was down.

Did anyone else have problems with MySQL 4?

I said I'd imagine that they would do some stability testing. I was just saying that it would make sense if they were doing that. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember there being problems on a couple servers with MySQL 4. Perhaps it was just that one person, but if there were only problems on that one site, I wouldn't think they would rollback the version on all of the servers. But I'm only speculating. I'd PM Jag with your question if you want an official response.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

I didn't see any reports on MySQL 4 problems besides Vin's jelling either (that was later proven wrong by himself). MySQL 4.0 was installed pretty freshly at that point an Vin can yell pretty loud...

Anyway, I'd like to know what's up with MySQL 4 too, so I'll PM.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

I had problems with MySQL 4. It contantly caused table corruption on my boards. I had to constantly run REPAIR TABLE x; because it caused corruption once a day every day until it was rolled back.
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    My Site: StarCraft Sector | My vB Forums: Forum Sector
    E-Mail: [email protected] | AIM: CeleronXL | ICQ: 118648739 | MSNM: [email protected] | YIM: celeronxl

Ron
    Interesting. Is that a known bug with MS4 for your particular brand of board?

That doesn't mean it isn't a bug in 4 just perhaps an incompatibility with their present code.

Anyway, sorry to hear that. How was the problem showing up?

This happened in many forum scripts. For vB, the thread table became corrupted. In various other apps it was various other tables.
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    My Site: StarCraft Sector | My vB Forums: Forum Sector
    E-Mail: [email protected] | AIM: CeleronXL | ICQ: 118648739 | MSNM: [email protected] | YIM: celeronxl

Well, I did PM Jag when I said I would, but haven't heard a thing so far.

Anyone informed on MySQL 4's current stability? On the MySQL site it looks like it's more than ready for production use. There are some upgrading notes though. Is that maybe the hurdle keeping us back? (Has to be taken at some point anyway..)
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---

Loyal Client
    I haven't heard about any problems with MySQL 4 except on these boards (which were due to silly error on users' parts anyway)

LoL! I'm supposed to be nicer...

If you ppl want to claim some hollow victory, go ahead; however, once again, you have added 2+2 and come up with 3.

I issued a public apology to JagPC over an issue that had nothing to do with MySQL 4.0. Here's the thread, in case you would like to practice your reading comprehension:

http://forums.jaguarpc.com/showthrea...&threadid=9448

The initial comments about SQL concerned MySQL 3.x, not MySQL 4.x. However you twisted this into some grand conspiracy by myself to deprive users of MySQL 4.x. I suppose I should have attacked this dragon the first time around, but it would not have been in the spirit of that message --- an apology to JagPC. Now, it has come back to bite me in the butt.

You misunderstood what I said in that thread, and you're still mistaken if you think I have the either the power or desire to impede change here at JagPC.

Maybe you're the ones that should be apologizing...
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 06-22-2003 at 03:32 AM.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL © 2010

Originally posted by mattsiegman
    I haven't heard about any problems with MySQL 4 except on these boards (which were due to silly error on users' parts anyway)
    I remember it differently. MySQL 4.0 was causing problems all over the place, and it all started the instant they installed it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To set the record straight, I'm always up for a challenge. I'm sure I can get MySQL 4.x working on my (Nuke) site. The question is: does JagPC want to get it working on 100's of others? If so, go for it. Put your money where your mouth is...
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 06-22-2003 at 03:37 AM.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Originally posted by CeleronXL
    I had problems with MySQL 4. It contantly caused table corruption on my boards. I had to constantly run REPAIR TABLE x; because it caused corruption once a day every day until it was rolled back.
    Heh!
    This happened in many forum scripts. For vB, the thread table became corrupted. In various other apps it was various other tables.
    Big w00t!
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 06-22-2003 at 03:43 AM.

Question REMEMBER THIS ONE?

Originally posted by Gwaihir
    I didn't see any reports on MySQL 4 problems besides Vin's jelling either...
    What?!?!?!?!

I can see every database on photon in phpMyAdmin from all accounts!
    Originally posted by dkadave
    Wow, the same with titanium
    Originally posted by Jag
    Ya, cpanel updated the machines to mysql4 and created that bug at the same time. You cant do anything other than view db names, but it will still be fixed here shortly .
    Originally posted by Julian Muñoz
    Hey I have a problem. When I try to make a dump using mysqldump I get:

mysqldump: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) when trying to connect

Can anyone confirm this on other servers? I'm on Iron.
    Originally posted by fmimoso
    Same here using Copper...
    What's happening?
    Originally posted by dkadave
    I think, thread.MYI is the database file. Seems like it's gone! Ask them to do a mysql restore.
    Originally posted by Julian Muñoz
    Hey!! Yes!! I had the same problem with vbulletin, and I had to use repair.php to get it restored.... It was corrupted. It's the first time I had a corrupted table on Jaguar and I was wondering why... So, I'm not the only one with this problem :S

That's why I wanted to backup my database immediately, but now mysqldump refuses to work!
    Originally posted by TYorke
    ...My damn inbox got flooded with DATABASE ERROR! emails lol
    Originally posted by fooljay
    On Xenon, phpMyAdmin has been timing out for the last 19 or so hours. Can't connect to mysql because of jailshell.

How can I get my MySQL data out so that I can close my account??
    Originally posted by Gwaihir
    None the less: MySQL 4: Hurray! I was eagerly awaiting that...
    SOURCE: http://forums.jaguarpc.com/showthrea...&threadid=9043
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 06-22-2003 at 04:25 AM.

Hey Vin, you sure have an interesting way of manipulating context, but why do it if you don't like the result yourself? Do you expect us to feel sorry for you now? No one is accusing you of whatever!

Your appology was about the same time and MySQL was mentioned in it. You yourself speak of version 4 in the very apology thread you quote and in another one you had going at the time.

As for the introduction problems: when I connect with SQLyog I can allways see all databases on the server; seems pretty harmless to me and was soon fixed anyway. I hadn't noticed the other error mentioned when I wrote my 'Hurray' (threads were merged later), but that too seems to me like a minor fault made while upgrading.

Yes, I still eagerly await MySQL 4 (and I think everyone can read that in normal sized black too). I'm currently laying the basis for a large site and I'd like to use the easier multi table manipulation in there.

The whole 'MySQL 4' problem sounds to me like one not-too-good upgrade script that was run on all servers one directly after the other. If it were anything else, then why are there no issues with it from elsewhere? JPC is not exactly the only company running this stuff..

I suggest they fix it, test it for these two specific issues, run it on a single production machine and, if all is still fine a couple of days later, get the upgrade over and done with.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast