Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Kills the Cookie! in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I have set up a simple cart for a customer... I have had to set it secure from end to end..... When shopping and selecting ...

Kills the Cookie!

I have set up a simple cart for a customer... I have had to set it secure from end to end.....

When shopping and selecting an item and adding it to the cart you then have the option (button) to go back and shop for more!

The problem is when you select an additional item and add that to the cart it kills the previous item...... this does not always happen but most of the time!

Everything else is runnig fine and I have checked my own "cookie" settings on my pc that its not my pc thats killing them...... can anybody help or understand what is going on!

There is no support from the makers of this cart.... !

Thanks

The persistence of a cookie is set by the program. In a program like this web board software, the persistence is usually set to '0' or 'no expiration.' The cookie will remain active until you 'log out.' The cookie in your shopping program is probably set to die when you close a window or leave it. I dunno... it's hard to say without looking at the code.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

I ran across this article:

http://www.foundrynet.com/solutions/...rsistence.html

It might give you some ideas...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Hey Stuart, good to see you around again...

I'd check to make sure you aren't assigning a new session ID (assuming that's what's in the cookie) anywhere. I assume your script probably assigns a session ID as soon as the first item is placed in the cart. When the second item is added, is the script checking to see if there is already a session ID available and reusing it, or is it just issuing a new ID? The cookie is probably being sent back just fine, but your script may be overlooking it.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com