Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on How Long??? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Will it be before my domain is propogated??? It has been well over 24 hours and noone will give me an answer in email or ...

Loyal Client

How Long???

Will it be before my domain is propogated??? It has been well over 24 hours and noone will give me an answer in email or in the ticket.

How Long Will it be before my domain is propogated?

It can take several days to propogate completly.

Loyal Client
    Thank you Connie! At least you responded and that is all JAG had to do by email and they never have......

Originally posted by Jamester
    Thank you Connie! At least you responded and that is all JAG had to do by email and they never have......
    If all is fails, this web board has a 'search' feature. I use it a lot. I did a search on the word 'propagate' and it gave me 3 pages of threads containing that word.

Anyway, Connie is correct. My experience has been 3-4 days to propagate around the world. It all depends on how often different places update their zone files. Dotster (my registrar) updates their zone files hourly. In the small rural town where I live, the ISP updates their zone files weekly --- sometimes monthly. So, once again, it all depends...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Still, it is a bit weird that no-one replied to the ticket. You may want to look in the ticket sytem to see if it's still there; otherwise something probably went wrong when you entered it.

AFAIK no support is provided through e-mail; you must use the ticket system.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Loyal Client
    Thank you Gwaihir and Vin DSL for your response. Although they sure responded when I was emailing them about purchasing some space here.....the sales address was all over it...lol!! Get em hooked and then dump em!! Another thing I was told that all the features would work for my webtv, well so far I have found the ticket system will not work...does great on my pc...but I have posted to it twice and have not gotten a response.

A lot of times, these kinds of things are a matter of perception[s]. I deal with a lot of ppl on a daily basis, and this is always a problem.

All I can tell you is, my perception of JagPC is a positive one. I have been with several web hosts since '96 and JagPC is the best, by far, that I have had. Are they perfect? No! But, don't make the mistake of thinking these guys were just trying to get in your 'panties.' That's not the way it works here. They bend over backwards to help their clients, but this isn't AOL. They don't have 1000 starving students manning the phones in New Delhi, waiting to 'serve' you. They have a small staff of dedicated and knowledgable ppl here to help you. After a while, you will be on a first-name basis with them, so treat them with respect. They will soon become your best friends...

Anyway, be patient. Once you get the hang of this place, you'll like it.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Loyal Client
    I found out that the sales people that answer your questions are not there on the weekends, I don't blame them, wish I wasn't at work on the weekends either lol!!

I have another question: Say I am in my filemanager and I go to public html and click on the addy to where my main page is and I view the file.....I do not get just my page, I get a page with a banner at the top showing me what I clicked on along with my page......how do I just view my page so I can show it?

Is this what you mean: http://yourdomain.com/pagename ?

Adding 'www' in front of yourdomain is optional. If you page is really the 'main' one (index.htm or .html, etc.) you needn't give the pagename (allways best to have a main page like that).

Note that pagenames are case sensitive (Linux system). Best practice is to use lower case only.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store