Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on General reseller questions in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hello All, I have some general questions on resellers accounts that perhaps some of you could help me with. I have already gotten some good ...

Loyal Client

Question General reseller questions

Hello All,
    I have some general questions on resellers accounts that perhaps some of you could help me with. I have already gotten some good info from this forum, some of it's a bit old and I want to confirm it's still valid. I'll break it down by subject so bear with me please.

First, what the heck is HostGUI, and when is it coming? Judging by the talk, it must be pretty revolutionary and I am really curious as to what it's going to do.

Now to the meat of my questions:
    Support for resold accounts- Is it best to have the client contact me and then in turn I contact support, who responds to me and then I in turn forward that to the client? I would like to offer 24/7 support, but having a client contact me first could be an issue--I've have this nasty habit of sleeping every now and then. I'm not particularly afraid that a client knows that JaguarPC is the actual support mechanism, after all I have a contract with JaguarPC to provide support anyway and I don't mind telling people that.

Domain name registration: If I want to offer that as well, should I just use Aletia, maybe tack on a buck or two, and register it in the clients name? How about checking the availability of the name, leave that up to the client? How do some of you resellers handle that part?

Control panel customization. I did see (in this forum) where there is a way to modify the control panel by having support FTP it to me and then upload the changes -or something like that, I copied the procedure but I want to make sure that's still the way to do it. I also saw where somebody had completely changed the look of the cpanel, not just the logo (looks awesome, too). Same procedure for that?

Finally (for now), I copied the source code for the table in Jag's reseller section but I noticed the table cells for perl module installation are commented out in the last 2 columns, is this intentional?

BTW, there is a typo in that table also-- in the row for "Network Connectivity and Data Center Facilities" part of the sentence is missing. It starts like this: "Diverse connectioThere...", I assume it should read "Diverse connections. There..."

Thanks for all of your advice.
    Jeff

Re: General reseller questions

Originally posted by jbp2003
    Hello All,
    I have some general questions on resellers accounts that perhaps some of you could help me with. I have already gotten some good info from this forum, some of it's a bit old and I want to confirm it's still valid. I'll break it down by subject so bear with me please.

First, what the heck is HostGUI, and when is it coming? Judging by the talk, it must be pretty revolutionary and I am really curious as to what it's going to do.
    Its an enigma it seems We're working on it, we aim to have it out this summer. Its nice, and taylored to our needs, but honestly I would not call it a revolutionary software suite.

Now to the meat of my questions:
    Support for resold accounts- Is it best to have the client contact me and then in turn I contact support, who responds to me and then I in turn forward that to the client? I would like to offer 24/7 support, but having a client contact me first could be an issue--I've have this nasty habit of sleeping every now and then. I'm not particularly afraid that a client knows that JaguarPC is the actual support mechanism, after all I have a contract with JaguarPC to provide support anyway and I don't mind telling people that.
    We do not directly suport your clients so yes you would have to take the requests/issues from your clients and open a ticket with us if you want/need us to address your issue.

Domain name registration: If I want to offer that as well, should I just use Aletia, maybe tack on a buck or two, and register it in the clients name? How about checking the availability of the name, leave that up to the client? How do some of you resellers handle that part?
    This is probably best left to other resellers to answer. Id recommend using one for the free whois scripts from hotscripts.com , integrate it with your site and place the order when your client orders hosting. You can use aletianic.com, setupa free user account and register domains at your leisure for $9.95.

Control panel customization. I did see (in this forum) where there is a way to modify the control panel by having support FTP it to me and then upload the changes -or something like that, I copied the procedure but I want to make sure that's still the way to do it. I also saw where somebody had completely changed the look of the cpanel, not just the logo (looks awesome, too). Same procedure for that?
    Until hostgui, yes that is still the way to do it.

Finally (for now), I copied the source code for the table in Jag's reseller section but I noticed the table cells for perl module installation are commented out in the last 2 columns, is this intentional?

BTW, there is a typo in that table also-- in the row for "Network Connectivity and Data Center Facilities" part of the sentence is missing. It starts like this: "Diverse connectioThere...", I assume it should read "Diverse connections. There..."

Thanks for all of your advice.
    Jeff
    Yes that was, cant remember why though. Thanks for the type notice, ill fix that up.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Loyal Client

Wink

Thanks.