Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on New Apple G5 Dual-2GHz model in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/ As usual, Apple likes to overhype their new stuff, e.g., "world's fastest personal computer", however, they have taken a leap into real performance competition ...

New Apple G5 Dual-2GHz model

http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

As usual, Apple likes to overhype their new stuff, e.g., "world's fastest personal computer", however, they have taken a leap into real performance competition with the introduction of their new Mac G5 dual CPU model (IBM PPC970 64-bit RISC) running at 2GHz (and expected to be at 3GHz within a year).

Prices for typical computer usage still seem way too high but for highend music production use and other audio/video oriented buyers, the price/performance ratio has certainly shifted.

I don't understand why Apple still overprices their lower performance models so much if they ever hope to get beyond their niche market status.
    Last edited by lvzardoz; 06-23-2003 at 11:50 PM.

Rogue Developer
    There's an article on a small site that indicates Apple may have hamstrung the competition's machines in their benchmarks. The author of the attack is apparently a well known raving anti-mac zealot, but that doesn't mean he's not right. But with complaints like Apple pricing them at $2999 rather than $3000 to deceive comsumers, maybe he's just yelling for the sake of hearing his own voice.

The price on the 1.6 GHz version has me tempted to get one as my next desktop, but they're still a bit out of my current budget. I guess I'll have to wait for AMD to release their 64-bit offerings before I can really decide. Or... well, budgets are made to broken, right?

Loyal Client
    two points:

1) ALL computer makers overstate their benchmarks, etc in an effort to prove that they are better than everyone else. I'm not saying its right, I'm saying don't crucify Apple for keeping the industry standard.

2) Apple's pricing structures are certainly higher than other box makers. I won't argue with that. Lately (current G5 pricing notwithstanding) they have been mostly competitive. I expect that the current G5 pricing will come down in 2 -3 months to a bit more reasonable level once Apple has taken advantage of all the early adopters and pent-up demand. I do expect them to sell well dispite their high prices though.

Rogue Developer
    The thing about this benchmark deal is that it's not so much overstating their results, but understating the competitor's. I suppose that might be common practice to a degree as well, but, if true, it's still shadier in my books. And this is coming from a multiple-apple-product owner.

Loyal Client
    Rebuttal from Apple VP. Interesting.