Our forum Area

This is a discussion on Venus Server Down again? in the Suggestions and Feedback forum
I count 14 posts in the server announcements forums since October 2014, that the Venus server has been down. That's official posts, with major shut ...

Loyal Client

Venus Server Down again?

I count 14 posts in the server announcements forums since October 2014, that the Venus server has been down. That's official posts, with major shut downs. It's really been down more than that. Why is it down so much?

Really, I've been with y'all for a lot of years, but it seems like there has been so many problems lately. Is there anything being done to improve down time?

Thanks.

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil857 View Post
    I count 14 posts in the server announcements forums since October 2014, that the Venus server has been down. That's official posts, with major shut downs. It's really been down more than that. Why is it down so much?

Really, I've been with y'all for a lot of years, but it seems like there has been so many problems lately. Is there anything being done to improve down time?

Thanks.
    You are absolutely correct venus has not had a great run as of late. Partially due to the fact it was on an experimental setup where the hardware was virtualized. You have two virtual servers on one hardware node. Unfortunately if one of the virtual servers over use it crashes the other one as well. This will be taken care of as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Zachary | Chief Customer Officer
    JaguarPC.com

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

How are we doing? Tell us at qa@jaguarpc.com.

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Zachary View Post
    You are absolutely correct venus has not had a great run as of late. Partially due to the fact it was on an experimental setup where the hardware was virtualized. You have two virtual servers on one hardware node. Unfortunately if one of the virtual servers over use it crashes the other one as well. This will be taken care of as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Thanks so much for the reply and the honesty. I respect that y'all were trying something new to improve service, even if it might have failed. I'm just glad the issue is visible and will be fixed at some point.

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Zachary View Post
    Is the other virtual server on the same hardware TITUS? It appears that VENUS and TITUS are joined at the hip with the recent spate of outages, and these frequent outages are really unacceptable. Is it time to call the experiment a failure and move on? As difficult as it may be on the twins... I vote for a separation.

Brandan

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandan View Post
    Is the other virtual server on the same hardware TITUS? It appears that VENUS and TITUS are joined at the hip with the recent spate of outages, and these frequent outages are really unacceptable. Is it time to call the experiment a failure and move on? As difficult as it may be on the twins... I vote for a separation.

Brandan
    Titus would be the other server. These had already been declared less then ideal. These are from 2012 and a previous system philosophy. They had been planned to be migrated already; however, they were not a priority on the to do list unless they became an issue. They are an issue, we will get the migrated to a better setup asap. Thank you for your understanding.
    Zachary | Chief Customer Officer
    JaguarPC.com

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

How are we doing? Tell us at qa@jaguarpc.com.

Loyal Client
    Thanks for the update Zachary. We are a small reseller with several sub accounts with mostly quiet Wordpress website domains. One domain, however, has an active MediaWiki site. So it is important that there be an orderly, planned transition to avoid data loss and downtime. We would want to inform our clients of the planned migration so the wikis can be put into maintenance mode and backups taken in the event of any unforeseen difficulties.