Our forum Area

This is a discussion on Resetting pre-4.1 format mysql user passwords in the Web Hosting, Managed Hosting, Business Hosting forum
Got a maintenance notice that, among other things says that: If you have pre-4.1 format password set for your mysql users, it's advised to reset ...

Resetting pre-4.1 format mysql user passwords

Got a maintenance notice that, among other things says that:
    If you have pre-4.1 format password set for your mysql users, it's advised to reset it through cPanel interface as the old password format will not be available any longer.
    I wouldn't be surprised if I have - site's been around forever - and I would like it to continue to work after this maintenance. So, how do I diagnose this? In particular: how can I tell if I have any MySQL users affected?

JPC Dream Team
    In Pre-4.1 hashing method password column of the user table is 16 bytes long. On higher versions, the hashing method was modified to produce a longer 41-byte hash value.

The format of any given hash value can be determined two ways:

1) The length: 4.1 and pre-4.1 hashes are 41 and 16 bytes, respectively.
    2) Password hashes in the 4.1 format always begin with a * character, whereas passwords in the pre-4.1 format never do.
    Anoop
    Support Department
    JaguarPC.com

Yeah, I read that, but that User table is not one I have any access to, is it? (Shared hosting)